Scuppers drain hose and deck drain fitting

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So in an attempt to do some PM, I took a hard look at the deck drain hoses. Definitely need replacing. Grady uses the wet exhaust hoses which are a real pain in the arse with that wire inside.

So two things..... what have you guys used to replace it? I have the wet exhaust hose, but wondering if there is a better option

Seconds is the deck drain fitting. Getting this wire hose off is going to be tricky enough. Come to find that deck drain fitting appears to be a two piece assembly. It moves freely and does NOT appear to be broken. Is this actually the case?

Thank you.

I’ll be waiting to hear back

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm going with the original wire-reinforced exhaust hose. I'm also replacing the plastic drains with the newer SS ones. I'm letting a mechanic with a lot of under the deck experience do the job after I tried (and failed) to remove the hoses myself. He told me he was not going to even try to remove the hoses in one piece. He said that he would cut the hoses at the drains and scuppers and then split the remaining hose ends with a cutter (didn't specify the exact tools). The plastic deck drains are 2-piece with what seems to be a hex nut holding them together. If the 90-degree pipe moves it would suggest that the nut is loose.

A lot of other manufacturers us a white plastic drain hose to connect the drain pipe and the scupper. The guy doing the work on my boat said that he liked the reinforced exhaust hose better since I go a long way offshore. While they rust and can develop small leaks over a long time, they don't get brittle and crack open like the white plastic hoses sometimes do.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I removed the old hoses the same way as Doc's mechanic did. Cut them right at the end of each barb. You can use a good set of dykes to cut the wire and nibble away at the hose. Be as destructive as you want on anything that you're not saving. Depending on access... sawzall, Dremel cutoff tool, hacksaw, etc, etc.

I replaced with the white, nylon hose with nylon "wire". Same stuff that is used with head systems. There are different grades of this stuff - the stuff I used is the same stuff I've seen used for decades on many boats (including a couple of my own) with no issues. Definitely don't skimp on these hoses, whichever style (wire or nylon reinforced) you go with.

Fishtales

Reaction score
there is an adjacent thread that lists how to get the drains. below for your info. not sure which one to get, hopefully the OP will chime in or you can call the firm direct.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So in an attempt to do some PM, I took a hard look at the deck drain hoses. Definitely need replacing. Grady uses the wet exhaust hoses which are a real pain in the arse with that wire inside.

So two things..... what have you guys used to replace it? I have the wet exhaust hose, but wondering if there is a better option

Seconds is the deck drain fitting. Getting this wire hose off is going to be tricky enough. Come to find that deck drain fitting appears to be a two piece assembly. It moves freely and does NOT appear to be broken. Is this actually the case?

Thank you.

I’ll be waiting to hear back
Look at my thread "Deck Drain Scupper Surprise" pictures of everything