scuppers letting water back into my 208

natsdad

Reaction score
when i have a few people on the stern, i get water though the scuppers. no biggie while fishing, but a dinner cruise gets a bit sloppy! any ideas on how to remedy this? anyone know where i may find plugs that big to use to keep this from happening during calm outings?

thanks!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Natsdad: It would help to know the year of the boat and which engine. I had a 1995 208 with a two-stroke 150 for ten years and I don't recall that I ever saw water come up the scuppers to deck level.

If you don't get a good answer here on the forum, I believe calling Grady will get you some good advice.

Rob

richie rich

Reaction score
natsdad, see a reply from ttles714 earlier today...I'm sure there are others already on this forum with the same problem and replied a hundred times over so look around.....but one thing....you never want to plug your deck drains....thats a disaster waiting to happen....if for some reason you get caught in a squall and you ever get hit by a wave at your beam that dumps water in, you'll never be able to drain the deck in time and possibly cause your boat to flip....check your bilge and engine bracket for water to remove any excess weight...use your forward fuel tank only if its that bad......older boats do absorb some water and add weight which may mean some work....also you can relocate your batteries mid-ship instead of aft to help shift the weight. Gradys are known for sitting low in the water, especially the ones with engine brackets........ and it won't get better with time.

richie rich

Reaction score
also, check to see if you have a check ball in the drain itself....you may need to add or replace the check ball if it came with one...this should let water out but keep water from coming in

seasick

Reaction score
natsdad said:
when i have a few people on the stern, i get water though the scuppers. no biggie while fishing, but a dinner cruise gets a bit sloppy! any ideas on how to remedy this? anyone know where i may find plugs that big to use to keep this from happening during calm outings?

thanks!
First thing is to check the scupper flaps, They wear out and also get stuck open with debris. I have had 4 normal sized fishermen on my 208 and never had water back up onto the deck from the scuppers. You may just have too much weight aft.

richie rich

Reaction score
also saw an interesting scupper today at the marina...a guy installed an external check ball and drain. its a clear plastic cup, the size of a wafer ice cream cone......the wide end attaches to the scupper and the small end sticks out into the water about 3 inches.....it has an exit hole on the bottom and a rubber check ball inside.......never seen one of these before...don't know who makes them,,,,this guys scuppers were below the waterline......food for thought

AlK

Reaction score
richie rich,

Is this what you saw:
BallScupper.jpg

natsdad

Reaction score
thanks!

thanks guys. FYI, it's a new 208 with an F200 yamaha. I'll check to make sure the scppers are cleared out!

Scott

richie rich

Reaction score
Bingo! I don't know if they actually work but if all else fails, give them a try....they don't look too expensive....you should post where you found them.

richie rich

Reaction score
Natsdad, thats a new 208? I don't understand why GW just doesn't raise the deck and scupper height about and inch or so and eliminate this problem. If the scupper were plugged, water wouldn't come in or out and since its new, I find it hard to believe the flaps are already aged to the point they are not sealing right....I hope thats all it is. This should be an easy design change at the factory.

AlK

Reaction score
Bingo! I don't know if they actually work but if all else fails, give them a try....they don't look too expensive....you should post where you found them.

Just google "ball scuppers"

MWENGER1

Reaction score
ball scruppers

Richie rich They work very well. I had them on my last boat. :D

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I understand what you are trying to accomplish. When a stern corner is loaded with 600lbs there is some water on the deck, that is not unusual. As purely a temporary dinner cruise fix for when the ladies don't want to get their shoes wet go to home depot and find the proper size plumbers test plug. Never leave these in for regular boating activities.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
unfortunately, with enough weight, the deck height will go below the waterline and water will back in. There is a misconception about scups. They are not designed to be water tight, although the ball scups do a pretty good job. The flappers are designed to stop a followng sea or backing down from flooding the deck. The flooding is a weight issue, not a design issue. I, too, would suggest the ball scups.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get the stopper rubber plugs for the deck drains, just don't forget to take then out when leaving the boat at the dock for the week in case it rains heavy.

You don't get plenty of freeboard for nothing!

Use them as needed, or institute a "no shoe" policy on dinner cruises.

Will the scupper balls still work with marine growth ?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Measure the diameter and google rubber plugs, wedges, corks, etc. See what comes up.

There's very little pressure involved, so I'm thinking a wedged shaped plug.

Perhaps a kitcheen store will have those wine bottle expanding sealers on something larger than a wine bottle.

nap72

Reaction score
How about cutting the hose from the deck scupper to the transom scupper and installing a one-way 1 1/2" plastic check valve?

I have the same problem and that's what I'm considering.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
nap72 said:
How about cutting the hose from the deck scupper to the transom scupper and installing a one-way 1 1/2" plastic check valve?

I have the same problem and that's what I'm considering.

I wouldn't do that. It's to hard to check it and if there is a problem, how do you fix it in the water? If one of the ball types were to give you a problem, you can see what's going on and even tear it out if need be.