Scuppers underwater

REELNUTTZ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good afternoon....The Scuppers on my 1994 272 are underwater!!!! And it's only the starboard side... bilges appear to be working. Haven't done anything different in 18 yrs owing the vessel. Now for no "apparent" reason the scuppers on the starboard are approx. inch below the water (and only the starboard side... the port side are sitting properly)???
Any suggestions / words of wisdom (beside get it looked at) would be greatly appreciated.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Does it make a difference on your boat if your engine(s) are leaned over to starboard? You don't have a signature, so I wasn't sure if you had one or two engines. Other than that... if you haven't recently changed where you store gear in the boat or relocated batteries or somehow re-distributed weight then the most obvious answer is going to be water. Water won't always stay in the center - if the boat lists a little bit, the water will move to that side, exaggerating the list.

The port side won't be "sitting properly". If the starboard is low, the port is high.

Did you physically look in the bilge or just flip the pump buttons to see if you heard them?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just a thought, check to make sure you don't have the plug in the fishbox or storage areas in case some rain rain has settled. Otherwise, can you access your 272 under the deck berth and with a flashlight look back into the areas under the deck, especially on the starboard side where the wiring chases run and make sure there is no sitting water over the foam, etc.
Another idea, one that that I have found reveals leaks from my fresh water hose a couple of times is put your head down into the bilge with a very bright led flashlight/spotlight and watch/look for water trails. Then backtrack from there.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How has the boat been stored for all those 18 years. Was it moored, trailered but left outside uncovered, or marina stacked out of the weather?????

REELNUTTZ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How has the boat been stored for all those 18 years. Was it moored, trailered but left outside uncovered, or marina stacked out of the weather?????
Thanks for the reply.... Winter wrapped on boat stands at home.

REELNUTTZ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does it make a difference on your boat if your engine(s) are leaned over to starboard? You don't have a signature, so I wasn't sure if you had one or two engines. Other than that... if you haven't recently changed where you store gear in the boat or relocated batteries or somehow re-distributed weight then the most obvious answer is going to be water. Water won't always stay in the center - if the boat lists a little bit, the water will move to that side, exaggerating the list.

The port side won't be "sitting properly". If the starboard is low, the port is high.

Did you physically look in the bilge or just flip the pump buttons to see if you heard them?
Thanks for the reply.... Twin 225 etec... and the engines are not leaning during the inspection. We checked ALL of the access hatches (front / rear). The stringers look dry / nothing looks "overly" wet (normal minimal water in the bilges).
Plan on having a "moister test" down along the transom??? Manually turned on fwd and aft bilges to make sure they are working (replaced aft bilge). Did not think I had that much gear to make a difference (try not to store too much in the cabin). Will give it another look tomorrow (weather permitting).

REELNUTTZ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just a thought, check to make sure you don't have the plug in the fishbox or storage areas in case some rain rain has settled. Otherwise, can you access your 272 under the deck berth and with a flashlight look back into the areas under the deck, especially on the starboard side where the wiring chases run and make sure there is no sitting water over the foam, etc.
Another idea, one that that I have found reveals leaks from my fresh water hose a couple of times is put your head down into the bilge with a very bright led flashlight/spotlight and watch/look for water trails. Then backtrack from there.

Thank for the reply..... will do tomorrow (weather permitting)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Agree with all the comments about weight and water...here's another direction...its out there... but possible....

So with no one aboard, tied to floating dock, the boat lists to starboard(toward your dock based on picture?). This has been going on for a while (multiple trips to dock) or you just noticed it?

It is possible that you have tied the boat tighter to the floating dock and /or you have a bow line going to the pole on your port bow and at low tide it is lifting the port side.

Reactions: Ozz043

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like all the replies so far. I have a similar model, so am chiming in to watch the conversation and see what I learn.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The obvious is added weight or a weight distribution shift. Fuel level, water level, battery location changes, added equipment, water intrusion or something else possible?

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The obvious is added weight or a weight distribution shift. Fuel level, water level, battery location changes, added equipment, water intrusion or something else possible?
^^^This. Something changed or shifted. It always comes down to physics.