Sea Anchor

2ndChance

Reaction score
Just wondering what you folks use for a sea anchor for a 208 adventure. Small boat, but heavy for its size. PARA-TECH Parachute Sea Anchors look nice, but are expensive.

I'll continue searching the site - just thought I would ask in the meantime.

Thank you,

Joe
93 208 adventure/2007 200 HP E-TEC.

HMBJack

Reaction score
The Para Tech sea anchor is very expensive but also very good (best IMHO).

Cabelas sells Drift Socks which are not sea anchors but work pretty good. For a 208, a 48 inch diameter drift sock will work well for you and they're maybe 20% of the cost of a Para Tech.

For drift fishing on a windy day, I like the Drift Sock.
For emergency use or an over nighter offshore, the Para Tech is what you need. Kinda need to assess your particular need. Good luck!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Joe: My previous boat was a 208 and I used (still use) a 60" drift anchor I purchased from Bass Pro. I suggest getting one with a weighted bottom and float-collar top. This keeps it from spinning too badly.

Rob

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do these hold your over bottom enough not to use a wreck anchor? It would sure be easier to deploy if so.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Strikezone said:
Do these hold your over bottom enough not to use a wreck anchor? It would sure be easier to deploy if so.

Mine does not and I don't think any would. The sock just minimizes how much wind drift your boat experiences. But the boat is still moving with the current. I use one while fishing live baits from a kite or drifting squid down deep.

Can be good to keep one on board for safety reasons too. Can use it to keep your bow into the wind if your engine dies. Or to trail behind the boat when running a nasty inlet with dangerously big following seas. Presumably the drift anchor would keep you from broaching. I hope to never try that one.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have been thinking about a sea anchor for safety and understand the deployment off the bow to keep it pointed into the wind/waves should we lose power. Could you explain how deploying it off the stern to keep a wave broaching the stern?

As a side note to my question... I have long wanted to take a course on seamanship to improve my skillset in foul weather and seas...anyone recommend one?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In theory the sea anchor off the stern would not let the stern get kicked to the side as easily (very BAD). Persionally I wouldn't want to run like that. The worst place I usally see is the inlet (asside from the rips off Monomoy before it changed). Pick your time to go and don't stay too close to the one in front of you and stay in the wave valley. If it starts to pick up the stern or you slide down the face things get tougher.