Sea Deck

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Probably, or you'd have to use some sort of adhesive to the "male sided" snaps to fasten them to the floor of the boat if you didn't want to drill holes in the floor. That being said, if you're putting the foam down anyway, I'm not sure why you'd do that but have any issue with potentially drilling 4 holes into the corners of the floor panels. Idk, I don't have any first hand experience with any of these products, I just watched the below video and it seemed like a bit better of a product than the SeaDek. And if you didn't want. to go with the snap it series or whatever it's called, it looked like their adhesive is more of a medium bond that will come up in one piece and is somewhat removable, instead of breaking off into small pieces when trying to remove it.

That Marine Mat looks interesting. Less permanent than SeaDek. Looks like the same material as SeaDek just a different application method.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's nice for sure. Biggest concern is what happens when it comes up. Likely need to do it again as the adhesive will be on the deck.

Nick1226

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I did Dekit holds up well with blood and guts when fishing cost was around 4k measured and installed. Also if your going to have a deck chair like I do it does hold up. SeaDek doesn’t I spoke to both and Seadek was against it Dekit had no issues with it, so far so good.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
SeaDek, MarineMat, Dekit....it's all the same EVA foam stuff just with different application methods and different patterns and colors. I don't think you can go wrong with any of it as long as its done properly. Professional application is worth the expense...kind of like when people try to do their own car window tinting.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I used that teak looking plastic type carpet in my last boat. It yellowed the floor underneath. It whitened up once u removed it for a while but I didn’t like it

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
It must be me... I hate the way it looks. Perhaps a just a little is ok, but I hate the way it looks when plastered all over a boat. Too many lines, spaces, etc.

I can't see it being easier to keep clean on a fishing boat.

For a non fishing boat, looking for comfort, maybe it's ok. Me, I'd go with snap-in marine carpet.

I ABSOLUTELY hate the thought of having to remove something that was glued down.

Now, if we are talking about it as an option for making an old deck look better, then I think that's a different discussion.

Again, it's just my opinion.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
It must be me... I hate the way it looks. Perhaps a just a little is ok, but I hate the way it looks when plastered all over a boat. Too many lines, spaces, etc.

For a non fishing boat, looking for comfort, maybe it's ok. Me, I'd go with snap-in marine carpet.

I ABSOLUTELY hate the thought of having to remove something that was glued down.

Now, if we are talking about it as an option for making an old deck look better, then I think that's a different discussion.

even though I own it, i agree with a lot of what you are saying. I also can’t stand when it’s plastered everywhere. Top of gunnels and up the vertical surfaces is way to much. I also agree that it’s probably not the ideal option for a pure fishing machine.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
even though I own it, i agree with a lot of what you are saying. I also can’t stand when it’s plastered everywhere. Top of gunnels and up the vertical surfaces is way to much. I also agree that it’s probably not the ideal option for a pure fishing machine.
Yeah, I only like it on the actual deck. Some boats have it on almost every surface except the hull.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Are their any snap together options? I did a sport court for the kids and put 12X12" pieces that snap together. Maybe a rubber type?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yep, I was going to need a non-skid paint job on the fishng deck. That was going to require sanding and prep anyways. So if putting this down in a couple hours delays that for a season I'm ahead of the game. I have to say, based on just standing on it and kneeling on it, IT FEELS GREAT!. I hope it holds up at least thru a complete season.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

While I don't hate the way that it looks, I definitely don't love it enough to spend thousands of dollars on it, and then have to tear it up again in another 5-7 years or however long it takes to wear out, to then do it all over again. I'm sure just about any product will look "great" brand new, but I'm wondering how well it holds up when exposed to the sun and other UV rays 24 hours a day for months on end. Though I'm not curious enough to spend the money and find out on my own.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm very familiar with the SeaDeck (especially this brand) but more-so with regards to sport/luxury boats. So no real experience with how easy it cleans off after fishing adventures. I guess, regardless of how easy it cleans off... it's still not as easy a bare floor, though!

BUT... if I was going to add SeaDeck to a boat that saw fishing, I would install it with snaps (yes, SeaDeck can be glue down OR snap-in). I might even upgrade to the 9mm thickness! That way I could just pull it out when we were fishing and snap it back in when we were just cruising around and hanging out.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm very familiar with the SeaDeck (especially this brand) but more-so with regards to sport/luxury boats. So no real experience with how easy it cleans off after fishing adventures. I guess, regardless of how easy it cleans off... it's still not as easy a bare floor, though!

BUT... if I was going to add SeaDeck to a boat that saw fishing, I would install it with snaps (yes, SeaDeck can be glue down OR snap-in). I might even upgrade to the 9mm thickness! That way I could just pull it out when we were fishing and snap it back in when we were just cruising around and hanging out.
Dennis, do you mean SeaDek? You know how critical precise terminology is in getting the right answers here, LOL.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My two cents....I like it in the helm, down my steps and in my aft cabin. I didn't want it for fishing as scrubbing the cockpit is much easier to clean blood etc on the original fiberglass deck.seadek steps.jpgseadeck helm.jpgseadeck helm2.jpgseadek aft cabin (1).jpg

Finest Kind

Reaction score
My SeaDek has been holding up great so far in the FlaDa sun (installed 12/1/2020).

Fish blood or bait does not make any stains as long as you clean up the mess and hit it with the salt water wash-down....which you would do anyway even it there was no deck covering.

The only issue is it's tendency to get cut and sliced up. You need to be careful about dropping knives or gaffs onto the deck, and even when landing flopping fish. I have a couple of "souvenirs" in my deck which were made from Grouper gill plates slicing the deck.

My biggest mistake was storing my crab trap on the deck during the summer off-season. Last year an Iguana got into my crab trap, got stuck and eventually died in there. He must have made quite a struggle trying to get out and his claws left their mark on the SeaDek.
Luckily, my Son came to go fishing on my boat during the summer and he was the one who had to dispose of the smelly mess, not me...

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Yeah - there seems to be a strange market for these fellas. The sales personnel push hard - and it stands in contrast to the fact that if you contact the factory direct (Marine Mat was great when I called for a color swatch - and that alone would make them likely get my business) who always seem behind demand.

But the prices for the material don't add up. It's not new material - and even with it being custom cut: none of it is new technology. Then there's the labor - which I'm fine with $50 an hour for skilled labor. Throw in a $200 trip charge to get the truck out there/have it mailed to where-ever you live. Custom floor carpet installs for this type of square footage isn't that expensive.
I think they look at my boat, realize that I had to have bought it new, and just upped the price. If you can blow $130K on a boat, what's $7K of seadeck? Unfortunately for them, no deal. I like the look at $2500 but not at 3x that. They'll learn. Or not.

Reactions: FREEDOM!!!