Sea Dek

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
SeaDek is great stuff but it will stain if blood, etc. isn’t cleaned up immediately. The fit and finish on it is better than competing products I’ve seen and it seems to stand up to UV better than the cheap Amazon/eBay options.

I’d venture that installation prep and application are just as important as the quality of the material.

atmatthews1

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Not that I am looking to sell my 232 anytime soon...but...I'm curious as to folks opinions w/r to whether seadek'ing a grady will help or hurt the resale value? I think the stuff looks awesome on the cabin steps and floor...i've seen other pictures where people did the whole thing...eg...anywhere non-skid exists. Any thoughts?

Fishtales

Reaction score
The stuff looks great. The only concern would be if you need to remove. It leaves the floor in rough shape and you either install something over it or rework the floor....

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Anyone post a link to where we can order the template and work? I wanted to do this a while back and the guy I spoke to gave me a quote of 2 full sheets just for the cabin at like $700 per sheet. I politely said, "no thanks" lol.. but, would not be at all against doing it for the price you did it for.

Thanks for the info!

Oh, and does the Sea Dek interfere with the opening and closing of hatches etc?

Sorry.. last question, I promise.. lol.. was debating adding a GW logo in the circles, I assume they do that, for an extra cost ;)

Russ

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just did mine in the black SeaDek HD product. Looks great, and after a week of beating it up fishing it looks great. No dings or issues or debonding. Professionally installed.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My issue with the SeaDek, or any other product, is longevity. Kind of like with bottom paint where you spend a fair amount of money making the hull look good and then a couple of years later you have to do the same thing all over again. As Fishtales mentioned, taking the old stuff up and going from there after the 5 or so years that you get out of the initial product sounds like it could be a hassle, and another added expense at that time. To me, the floor in my boat looks fantastic, it's not slick at all and I'd hate to spend money to cover that up, potentially ruin or damage the floor and have to do it all over again in the next 5 years or so. I think the floor looks great right now and if I have to run a scrub brush over it for 5 minutes every time I use the boat? Then so be it.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Is it recommended to sand off any existing gel coat nonskid pattern prior to applying Seadeck?

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My issue with the SeaDek, or any other product, is longevity. Kind of like with bottom paint where you spend a fair amount of money making the hull look good and then a couple of years later you have to do the same thing all over again. As Fishtales mentioned, taking the old stuff up and going from there after the 5 or so years that you get out of the initial product sounds like it could be a hassle, and another added expense at that time. To me, the floor in my boat looks fantastic, it's not slick at all and I'd hate to spend money to cover that up, potentially ruin or damage the floor and have to do it all over again in the next 5 years or so. I think the floor looks great right now and if I have to run a scrub brush over it for 5 minutes every time I use the boat? Then so be it.
My cockpit was pitted and dinged up from downrigger cannonballs, lead weights, dropped knives, and maybe even some blisters. I wouldn't say it was extremely slippery, but I do know there have been people who have slipped. This SeaDek is really great looking over my dingy cockpit glass, and definitely grips boots better. I can tell a huge difference walking up to the bow I feel way more stable.

From reports, if I have to replace in 5 years I'd be surprised. High traffic areas can be replaced one panel at a time. But if I get 5-10 years out of it and have to replace, so be it. Looks great functions great for my needs.

To each their own.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I actually saw this link on Google after typing in "SeaDek" and clicked on it. It sounds like they were sponsored by Marine Mat or got some sort of perk or incentive out of using their product, but they're claimed it took the neighbor kid 28 hours to take the SeaDek off both their boats. Whether that's true or not, I'm not exactly sure? Sounds kind of like a pain to me to get the old stuff up and from reading elsewhere it sounds like it'll last between 3-7 years, depending on how often the boat is used and in what climate or conditions. I do like that the Marine Mat has the snaps on them and can easily be removed or replaced.