Sea Foam

ahill

Reaction score
I've heard reports from other Yamaha owners that this is a great fuel additive and a super decarbonizer.
Is anyone else using this and what are your results?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I removed the air intake cover and sprayed into each intake, allowed it to set a few minutes and fired her up. Be sure to do this away from other houses and people. Someone may call the fire department thinking that there is a fire. It will smoke like the boat is burning. I guess that means that the carbon is being burned off. I put a little into the fuel of my grass line trimmer and the next year all the fuel lines were busted. Afterward I was hesitant about mixing it with the fuel in the boat. It did cure the knock in the 02 yukon. It would clatter like crazy at start up. I sprayed it into the vacuum line from the brake booster while it was running, let it sit for 10 minutes and fired it up. No more knock. (piston slap) Apparently there was an issue with carbon forming around the top of the cylinder wall in the 5.3L early 2000 year models. I have been using Yami ring free and haven't done it to the new to me boat.
Results : Good for the boat motor (although I didn't see any performance changes)
Bad for the line trimmer (different kind of fuel line though)
Worked great in the GMC

Brad1

Reaction score
Just after I purchased my 2003 F225, I noticed an intermittent vibration at trolling speed (ie 600 rpm). The problem only occurred when the motor was in gear so I assumed something was out of balance (but I didn't hit anything). Took it to the dealer. The dealer said it was due to a bushing needing replaced (supposedly there was a Yamaha service bulletin on this issue). The dealer replaced the bushing, but the problem didn't go away. I dumped 4 pints of Seafoam into the 100 gallon tank and topped it off. Ran the boat for about a day to a day and a half (the exact duration escapes me as it was almost 6 yrs ago). In the middle of one of those days, I shut the motor off half way through the day. Upon starting the engine back up, I walked to the stern of the boat for some reason. I happen to notice a slick of carbon floating on the water. After that, the intermittent vibration was gone.

My carb'd Yamaha sportbike likes it to. About 7 yrs ago I stabilized the fuel with MDR stor-n-start. Had an unussually warm day in January. Fired up the bike, but it wouldn't stay running without the choke on. Figured I was going to need to rebuild and sync four carbs. But I dumped a pint of Seafoam in the tank for kicks. Rocked the bike to mix the Seafoam with the fuel the best I could. Started the bike and let it run for a little while. The bike would run with the choke off, but it would bog when I cracked the throttle. I figured I'd give the Seafoam a week to do it's job since it is a chemical afterall. The next week the bike ran perfect.

I use Seafoam in everything I own that had a gasoline combustion engine.

Only thing is, the price of Seafoam has risen about 40% in the past 6 yrs or so. Even at Walmart it's expensive these days. However I did find a place locally that's still selling it for about 5 bucks a pint.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A maintenance amount of Ringfree on every fill up will also prevent the carbon buildup. My 2 stroke with 750 hours runs as smooth as new with this regimine. My thought is that preventing the problem in the first place is probably better for the engine than trying to clean it up later.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I decarbed my rude after 250hrs of use from the prev owner, he never did it and never used engine tuner. What a mess it made. Good thing I was at a public ramp that rarely gets used. But, I feel bad about putting all that crud into the water. Since that first time I did it I have used seafoam in my fuel tank. I did another decarb at 310 hours and there was not nearly as much crud or smoke. Then again I did it at 370, this time in my driveway. All it did was smoke no crud at all out the exaust.
Best result was a hesisation I was having at take off, after the decarb it was gone. Must have disolved some crud in the fuel line. Another interesting thing, before the decarb I would always have to hit the primer for about 4 sec to get it to start first time, after the decarb all I do is prime the buld and off she goes. I have 2 one gallon cans for this year, comes to about 5.50 a pint that way.
I put it in everything now, lawn eq, cars,ect.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Strikezone said:
A maintenance amount of Ringfree on every fill up will also prevent the carbon buildup. My 2 stroke with 750 hours runs as smooth as new with this regimine. My thought is that preventing the problem in the first place is probably better for the engine than trying to clean it up later.

Ditto.