sea star fluid leak

Bumpye

Reaction score
I noticed some fluid dripping down from behind the steering wheel. I also thought the pump(?) behind the steering wheel looked wet during Spring clean up. Anyone have any experience or suggestions repairing or replacing this unit? Boat is a 2003 Gulfstream. Thank you.

chrisk

Reaction score
Seastar makes a seal replacement kit for this. It is inexpensive and easy to do - hardest part is pulling the steering wheel. Did mine about 6 years ago ('92 Explorer) so I don't remember the part number or where I got it but they are fairly common.

Chris

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Before you dive into a rebuild, make sure it is not just a fitting leak. The hose fittings have replaceable o rings but the hose adapter fitting screws into the body of the pump with NPT which requires a thread sealant and be very tight. Seastar recommends not using Teflon tape. That threaded connection has the highest potential for leaks in that area. I have a Seastar Solutions repair facility near my house and this is what they gave me for the NPT connection. Also make sure that it is not the vented cap leaking. There is an o ring gasket under the head and it contains a relief valve that can leak. Replacement caps are available.
GJLxSzxh.jpg

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Very helpful reply. I had to change the seal on the front of my helm 2 years ago. It was not difficult.

I hope I don't have to use that sealant, but it is great to have that piece of information if it is needed. Thanks for posting.

jigstrike

Reaction score
I had the same thing last year. I messed around with replacing seals, but it still leaked. I contacted Seastar, and they were pretty helpful. I ended up replacing the helm and, it was a pretty easy job.
Best of luck