Sea Star Hydraulic Sterring question about the 330 Express

Wally World

Reaction score
I just got my 330 express which was purchased used. I noticed the stiffness of the steering when turning the wheel and the slow responsiveness of the engines as compared to my prior 33 Proline. I was told to check the Helm of the Sea Star unit and look to see if it is a 1.7 cu. inch or a 2.4 cu. inch. I noticed it is the 2.4 and my mechanic said that the 1.7 would be an easier to turn steering. More revolutions to get there but easier to steer. I am contemplating on switching it out.
Has anyone come across the same thing or does all 330's come with the 2.4?

Looking for any input.

gulfcart

Reaction score
Re: Sea Star Hydraulic Sterring question about the 330 Expre

Wally World said:
I just got my 330 express which was purchased used. I noticed the stiffness of the steering when turning the wheel and the slow responsiveness of the engines as compared to my prior 33 Proline. I was told to check the Helm of the Sea Star unit and look to see if it is a 1.7 cu. inch or a 2.4 cu. inch. I noticed it is the 2.4 and my mechanic said that the 1.7 would be an easier to turn steering. More revolutions to get there but easier to steer. I am contemplating on switching it out.
Has anyone come across the same thing or does all 330's come with the 2.4?

Looking for any input.

The 33 comes with power assist.. Make sure you hear the whine of the pump.. 8 turns stop to stop..

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

only the f350's have standard power assist. otherwise it is an option. it would be mounted behind the starboard bulkhead in the midberth. it will only come on when the key is on.

i no expert, but i believe the smaller helms are for smaller boats. you may want to post a question on THT to seastarsteering. they are very helpful. good luck, ron

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330

We have a 2007 330 without any power assist and F250s that seems to have a pretty light steering feel. Only slightly heavier than our Scout with a F150. Can't tell you which capacity Seastar right now, but can get it next week if you are still interested. Before you do anything major I'd suggest you check freedom of rotation about the vertical axis, ie. grease the turning shaft well for both motors. Old grease can make it turn harder.