Sea-Trial Done - questions for the pros here!

Jereazy

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Great-Grady!

After what has been a long and exhausting search (reference note - don't bring your wife and daughter to look at boats... just go yourself) I have narrowed myself down to what I hope is the boat for me.

Coming from a 23" Wellcraft Cabin I/O I am looking forward to getting behind the helm of something that may actually help me catch some fish in the near future. But this is where I need your help!

I'm looking at a 92 204 Overnighter with a 92 Yamaha 200 (2-stroke) using the oil injection, not pre-mix (I hate pre-mixing).

Engine Wise: The Engine had a new powerhead installed last year, and a new lower unit installed last year at the same time. There is a book of receipts for me to look through. But, from what my research tells me I should check the shift rod (or shift shaft depending on who's typing) The steering (or tiller) arm for excessive rust. Some is to be expected. Too much is dangerous. My hope is that considering a powerhead replacement and a lower unit replacement they didn't cheap out and leave the old shift shaft in there. Fingers crossed. While I was there this weekend she fired right up. Has digital gauges as well.

Hull: Gave it a good knocking around the whole hull to check for any separation or delamination. checked it over for spidering or any issues around the caprail. Everything sounded uniform for the most part across the transom. A couple of jumps and pushes on the engine while it was lifted gave no real flex. And it did not have any stress cracks inside the splash well. My research shows me these are the big issues with the older Grady's. The thru-hulls are still plastic, but did not seem to have any cracking issues.

What I do like: (quick note, the boat was not "clean" it had footprints all over it etc etc.... so saying that) The bilge area was spotless. No cover-up job where someone "reinforced" the transom and it's covered in god knows what. Fish boxes and bait-wells were in good condition and clean, dedicated anchor locker is great. The price - i'm going to be walking away ~$7000 for it.

What I don't like: There is no hard-top. There are no seat cushions. Helm seats, jump seats, or otherwise. (The cabin cushions are all there and are in damn near new condition.) and roller galvanized trailer... bleh.

Here's where the help request comes in. What am I missing? What am I forgetting? I've sea-trialed and driven many other boats in my life. But, during the sea-trial of this particular model tomorrow what should I make sure I do to the boat? Does the price sound about right for this boat? I can figure if it were a different brand the give or take - but Grady's carry a different price tag for a reason.

Thank you all for your help in advance. And if it's right, i'll have some pictures up for you after I pick her up.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Re: Taking a Sea-Trial Tomorrow - Anyone wanna help the new

The only advice I offer is to get a good survey. Not tossing stones but that is an older boat and they are known for water intrusion (transom, stringers and deck core).
The plastic thru holes need an inspection or replacement if original. They can crack or break off very easily due to the years in the sun with UV.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score

Yeah, what Fishtales said, a surveyor has experience, tools, and skill that you won't be able to replace.

But in the absence of that, make sure you open every compartment or deck plate, operate every switch and valve, and if you can't perceive actual functionality, ask the owner what it should do and why it did or didn't do what it was supposed to do.

Bring a flashlight, and make sure you stick your head into whatever compartment or access port you can.
You're looking for obvious signs of . . .
Rust, hydraulic fluid, oil, fuel, corrosion, staining, cracking, leaking, condition of hoses, wires, tanks.

Anything that looks weird? Point your phone camera at it and post the photos here!

Bob.

Jereazy

Reaction score

Sharkbait282 said:
Yeah, what Fishtales said, a surveyor has experience, tools, and skill that you won't be able to replace.

But in the absence of that, make sure you open every compartment or deck plate, operate every switch and valve, and if you can't perceive actual functionality, ask the owner what it should do and why it did or didn't do what it was supposed to do.

Bring a flashlight, and make sure you stick your head into whatever compartment or access port you can.
You're looking for obvious signs of . . .
Rust, hydraulic fluid, oil, fuel, corrosion, staining, cracking, leaking, condition of hoses, wires, tanks.

Anything that looks weird? Point your phone camera at it and post the photos here!

Bob.

Thank you - I appreciate the advice and I'll try and make some calls to see if anyone can get there tomorrow or soon after. Sadly my last experience with a surveyor was next to useless. But, i didn't catch what he didn't catch either. So, it's one of those if you don't do it you'll wish you did type of situations.

Any hoses or wires etc that are known to be problems on this particular model?

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

That is an old motor and its likely to drive you crazy. Carbs, sensors, stator, vacuum, tilt trim ....yada yada yada ....

Jereazy

Reaction score

Harpoon said:
That is an old motor and its likely to drive you crazy. Carbs, sensors, stator, vacuum, tilt trim ....yada yada yada ....

Being that I've never owned an engine newer than '97 - I'm not sure it'll bother me too much.

My friend put me in touch with a Yammie mech today and got a full run down on what to look over on the engine. So that should help along with what Sharkbait gave me and other basic knowledge Here is my checklist

Check hull and Floors for no soft spots
Open all hatches and look around with flashlight looking for water damage, delamination, speration, black water from decaying wood, fluid stains, hydraulic, oil, fuel etc
Weeping from any bolts
Check fuel tank as best as possible.
Live-well fill and holds without leaks
Live-well drains without issues
bilge pumps operate by lifting float and by switch - fill bilge with water and make sure there is proper function
Nav Lights work
All Switches do what they are supposed to do
Wash-down system works (raw and fresh)
Tiller Arm Corrosion is surface or not severe
Trim System and seals - no leaks going up or down
Pump primer bulb and make sure it gets HARD
Steering Cyl for leaks (Hydraulic steering) especially around end-caps
Compression check - within 10% of each other
Test run WOT RPM 5000-5500
Steering - Small quick turns back and forth make sure engine reacts - steering not too loose, air in system
How easily does it turn - too stiff could mean corrosion issues
Control Cables not too tight
quick shifts between FWD-REV make sure it doesn't stall and shifts easily
Oil Reservoir for leaks
Open lower unit plug check gear oil and metal shavings
Check behind Prop Hub for line
Spin Prop make sure freely spins in Neutral - no clicking
Try and spin prop in gear
Pull top spark plugs after sea-trial to see if they are wet

that should keep me busy for a bit on a Tuesday night.

Jereazy

Reaction score

Everything went perfect out on the water. Everything worked - engine ran fantastic. PO was running pre-mix and using oil injection for break-in after new power head. But did an entire tank full so it's running a little oil heavy. The tank is run down pretty good though - so a good fill up and new plugs will be necessary.

I don't remember seeing a sunken engine mount bolt when I was there. But when reviewing my ridiculous number of pictures I saw this
D6B4334E-C98A-42FD-A805-6CA4E234727E.jpg

I'm not sure if this is just a shadow/angle of the picture or if this bolt is starting to push through the transom. I'm going to call the seller and ask him to check it for me before I come back on Saturday.

If it is pulling through it would be the only issue on the boat - but my question now is whether or not this is a "run-away" issue. Or a "get one of those transom bars between the two bolts, 5200 the hell out of it and you'll be good for a few years"

Bilge showed no signs of weeping anywhere. Was just a bit dirty.
E46BA192-395E-4051-8E3A-1637C3102EB8.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Looks like a nice rig....BUT....those sunken engine bolts scare me. That is clearly not normal. I think you are headed for a transom at some point.

Unless you are ready to bite off that project, I'd move on.....

Jereazy

Reaction score

Parthery said:
Looks like a nice rig....BUT....those sunken engine bolts scare me. That is clearly not normal. I think you are headed for a transom at some point.

Unless you are ready to bite off that project, I'd move on.....

Texted the seller this morning with the picture and the concern he got in and confirmed it wasn't sunken in - just sealent over the edges, dirty and a bad angle. I asked for more pictures and he's going to send me some later. Trying not to have to take an hour drive to go and inspect it again.... But if that's what it takes I will.

I won't be buying a boat that needs a new transom... Not in the mood for all that.

Jereazy

Reaction score
More Pics for those that are curious
On the Rack
09F7C7E0-C31B-4CA1-89E3-D1051AC19316.jpg

Engine
71FA78FF-6419-467A-A640-3C18B14AC1BF.jpg

Cav Plate and prop (used to have a fin on it)
23EF0907-5C5C-42CF-9B24-12A5505E42C9.jpg

Prop (19 pitch it appears)
D0620FB7-5EF4-4FA6-9933-92BD23E903E5.jpg

Engine Shots
A395760A-4BDF-4F84-895D-E839C8AD3B6D.jpg

A1D7BAF5-FF4B-4EF8-A999-58B759290BDD.jpg

18712C51-DD64-4343-8686-1D34D5671258.jpg

Fish Box Drains
F2C50472-5F7E-4046-8D70-7E4898A5A4EE.jpg

Fuel Fill and Sender (needs a scrubbing - perhaps a replaced sender)
785316AC-5F4D-468E-AD02-CE2352095787.jpg

963C9BE3-08FD-4C97-BE4B-82B2539B9035.jpg

B778010E-3832-45B4-B688-5E43590FD9D9.jpg

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I would at least replace the connections going to the fuel sender. If it works I would leave it alone. Tank that old, you might have issues remove the bolts holding the sending unit in. If there is no obvious fuel smell in the bilge or boat tank is more than likely ok for now. But expect it to be on the list if you plan on keeping that boat for any amount of time.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Stand on outboard/cavitation plate and bounce up and down, whilst looking for flex in the transom. That bolt is sunken right into the core.