seaboard vs starboard

weatherbymag

Reaction score
anybody do research on the differences between seaboard and startboard.

I am looking to replace my bulk heads as a winter project..

Also which color is best with Grady..

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know seaboard but Starboatd to my knowledge is not intended for structual applications.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They are both the same material: high density polyethylene plastic

When I lived on the west coast, everybody used SeaBoard sold by TAP Plastic. Now that I live on the east coast, everybody uses King StarBoard.

There may be a difference in the products. But I haven't noticed any difference. Neither product should be used as a structural component. They replace teak doors and hatches very well.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I did bulkheads, cabinet doors, and hatch covers on an '86 Tournament 22 with Starboard in 'seafoam'. My hull is somewhat faded, so 'seafoam' was a good color match for me. I saw no basic difference between Seaboard and Starboard, just better color selection with Star, and I could buy pieces already cut to usable dimensions.

Both are expensive and generate considerable shipping expense if you can't get it local. And not all 'bulkheads' are structural, but slightly over-sized fastener holes (like one drill size) are in order due to expansion/contraction of the material ... :uhm

http://www.buckwoodcraft.com/king_starboard.htm

richie rich

Reaction score
the only difference I have "heard" about the two is that Seaboard doesn't stain as badly as Starboard, ie like when used as a cutting board...and its tougher to cut into as well.....I think I saw that on Shipshape about 3 years ago...I have used the Starboard for trim but never a bulkhead, but others on here have, with good feedback...

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did all my trim 10 years ago with StarBoard seafoam, and it's been great. Last winter I did the bulkhead replacement with 3/4" of the same stuff, and it's been terrific so far. Easy to work with and looks great.