Seacock Remote Operation Arm

JBlaze

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm a new boat owner and we just purchased a 270 Islander. And fairly new to boating. The remote arm for the live well seacock was broken when we purchased the boat. Based on the photos will I need to replace the entire valve or just the handle? Also is this something I can replace myself(fairly handy) or pay to have someone do it? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1855.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 50

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm a new boat owner and we just purchased a 270 Islander. And fairly new to boating. The remote arm for the live well seacock was broken when we purchased the boat. Based on the photos will I need to replace the entire valve or just the handle? Also is this something I can replace myself(fairly handy) or pay to have someone do it? Thanks in advance!
Well it looks like the nut is seized to the handle and broke off the valve. No picture of the valve included. So I would say install a new valve. Hard part will be getting it loose from the bronze thru hull.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The remote arm in the long, SS thing. The yellow thing is the handle.

But, yes, it looks like replacing the seacock is in order and probably the wisest choice. Maybe you can replace just the valve/stem? I honestly don't know as I've never tried.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hookup1

JBlaze

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well it looks like the nut is seized to the handle and broke off the valve. No picture of the valve included. So I would say install a new valve. Hard part will be getting it loose from the bronze thru hull.
Thanks! I went and took a few photos of the seacock(attached).

JBlaze

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The remote arm in the long, SS thing. The yellow thing is the handle.

But, yes, it looks like replacing the seacock is in order and probably the wisest choice. Maybe you can replace just the valve/stem? I honestly don't know as I've never tried.
Thanks! From the photos I just added it doesn't look to be that difficult to do. (famous last words) Hoping someone that has done it before could give me some insight as to what to watch out for.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks! From the photos I just added it doesn't look to be that difficult to do. (famous last words) Hoping someone that has done it before could give me some insight as to what to watch out for.
If you can get the 90 off you can get a socket and impact tool on it. Consider doing both while you are in there.

Reactions: JBlaze

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not sure if the valve is included in the link below, but I'd measure what you've got and then replace the entire thing as they're only about $40-$60 for the assembly, and then the bracket is an extra $15. Though, it looks like something you could make quite easily and cheaply if you had the materials and tools to do so. If the valve isn't included, you can get those for about the same price of $40-$50, so you should be able to do the entire thing for about $100 total, again depending on what size you need.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm not sure if the valve is included in the link below, but I'd measure what you've got and then replace the entire thing as they're only about $40-$60 for the assembly, and then the bracket is an extra $15. Though, it looks like something you could make quite easily and cheaply if you had the materials and tools to do so. If the valve isn't included, you can get those for about the same price of $40-$50, so you should be able to do the entire thing for about $100 total, again depending on what size you need.

No, that last link is for a ball valve, not a seacock. A ball valve will not work.

According to his pictures, he needs the seacock, not the remote arm and bracket (read post #3 to understand the differences between the various components)

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just went through this with my pump out valve. Did the exact same thing and ended up just replacing the valve. Put a wrench on thru hull nut and then on on valve and see if you can unscrew valve. If thru hull is in good condition and doesn’t move, you’re probably good just replacing valve. Make sure to get exact threds.IMG_5628.jpegIMG_5628.jpeg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No, that last link is for a ball valve, not a seacock. A ball valve will not work.

According to his pictures, he needs the seacock, not the remote arm and bracket (read post #3 to understand the differences between the various components)
Well... per the OP's first post, he says "The remote arm for the live well seacock was broken when we purchased the boat." so... to what extent is it broken and can it be fixed? Again, for $40-$60... I can't imagine it would break the bank for most, though I guess I can't speak for yourself. And it does say on the link that I provided that it "Fits IBVF for Seacock Application".

seasick

Reaction score
Just to restate the obvious: The boat has to be out of the water when replacing the valve:)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well... per the OP's first post, he says "The remote arm for the live well seacock was broken when we purchased the boat." so... to what extent is it broken and can it be fixed? Again, for $40-$60... I can't imagine it would break the bank for most, though I guess I can't speak for yourself. And it does say on the link that I provided that it "Fits IBVF for Seacock Application".
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/sTX1S6rvPBmUCGSsvL" width="480" height="240" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

Last edited:

JBlaze

Reaction score
Model
Islander

Thanks, handle is definitely broke off the valve. So I will replace the valve. The arm I have measures just under 20" without the ball at the top of the arm. I'm thinking the 24" would be the one I need. TH Marine is currently out of stock but will notify me when they have them.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The arm may be fine if you can unbolt it from the handle. I had to replace the valve for my A/C last season. The arm was fine and I just had to reattach it to the new valve handle. In your picture the arm itself doesn't look bad.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's more information than just the first post. Sometimes you have to read everything - that's what I was trying to direct you towards.

"And it does say on the link that I provided that it "Fits IBVF for Seacock Application"."

That is correct. And that is why you are wrong. Educate yourself on what that is and also on NPT vs NPS. Recommending, and continuing to recommend, a wrong product to somone without actual knowledge of what you're talking about will only waste his time and money... along with de-railing a helpful thread. It's OK to not know something - we all start somewhere - but be open to taking the advice that you're wrong on something and go back and learn about it.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is a good explanation of what Dennis is talking about. Especially the line at the bottom in red highlight.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
For reference, this is what Grady White Customer Service said to use when replacing valve/seacock etc. They emailed me that picture and that matches what is already in the boat.

I know the one on the left is better way to go (or newer way) but the valve in there now was originally installed by Grady and performed well for 17 years on my 330.IMG_5630.jpegIMG_5630.jpeg