Seacock repair?

tgr23

Reaction score
My factory installed livewell pump (Rule 1100 model) gave up today. When I closed the seacock and pulled the motor unit off, it's mounted on top of the factory seacock, water was still coming through. The flow is diminished but only by 50%. The seacock arm seemed to be working just fine, and still rotates with no problem. Any idea what could have failed or is there a way to repair it? And if it needs to be replaced, can it be down while still in the water? I've seen some gadgets for help with a repair like this, Seabung.

Thanks in advance

Ozz043

Reaction score
I'm not sure what type of seacock you have....ball valves cannot be serviced, brass gate ones can, but why not replace such a cheap item that is so vital to the boat staying afloat .....

Personally I would not attempt to replace whilst in the water, you could use a bung to stop the water whilst you clean the thread etc....but essentially it will get wet again when you pull the bung to screw in the new valve. If the tape gets wet it will spin on the thread and become useless.....

Tip - you need to have adequate tape on the thread, apply it going clockwise, really push it in the thread firmly with your fingers before screwing the new valve on. If the boat is on hard stand have someone squirt a hose from underneath whilst you keep a close eye on the thread to ensure there are no leaks.....

tgr23

Reaction score
Well mystery solved. My freak out was premture. But who's wouldn't be if you had water gushing into your motorwell. So what happened was I turned on the livewell and the tank filled with water. Then shortly after it stopped working. So I went to the pump after checking power was getting all the way there and pulled off the pump and water started gushing out of the seacock. This happened open or closed. That's when I stopped. After parking the boat for the day and looking for guidance I went back to the marina and did the same thing but now there was very little water left in the livewell and when I pulled the pump it only gushed for a moment and then the lines were empty. :doh The seacock is working fine, I was just getting the flow back from the live well.

New pump on and I was back in business.

Thanks
T