Seafare swim platform recommendations

TIDE

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 94’ Seafare 226 and would like to add a swim platform on the port side. Anyone have any recommendations?

seasick

Reaction score

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not a big fan of that swim platform for a couple of reasons... first would be that the maximum weight capacity is only 300 lbs, of which fishermen tend to be on the bigger side just by themselves. I personally am 275 lbs or so, and probably wouldn't trust something like this to stay in place while I'm trying to get into the boat. Not to mention carrying or holding anything besides just my own personal weight. Second, as shown in the third picture on the listing, the brackets on top of the platform that hold the ladder to it seem to go almost halfway back on the depth of the platform. Which imo seems like something that someone could easily trip or slip on, or step on without shoes or sandals and possibly make them fall in the water or out of the boat. If I was looking for a fiberglass swim platform, I'd personally get something like this where the mounts and bolts for the ladder are on the bottom, which will help prevent any tripping or slipping hazards. They also say that the maximum weight capacity is around 550 lbs, which is almost double what the other one is.

seasick

Reaction score
The product looks like an exact match to mine on my 208. I am not a big guy and the ladder works well for me and my 'crew'. One good feature is that it is fairly easy to unfold the ladder when you are in the water for example if you fall overboard. Some systems are more difficult to do that.
On mine, I haven't had a problem with the ladder brackets either. The only negative is that the folded ladder will bounce up and down a bit in rough waters. It just lays on the platform in the stored position

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I like the idea of a higher weight rating and the under stow ladder.
Exactly my thoughts on the matter. I also like how the one I linked has a compartment that the ladder slides into after it collapses down on itself underneath the platform and tucks nicely away as well as has a keeper to keep it in place so that it doesn't bounce all over when underway. Good luck!

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not a big fan of that swim platform for a couple of reasons... first would be that the maximum weight capacity is only 300 lbs, of which fishermen tend to be on the bigger side just by themselves. I personally am 275 lbs or so, and probably wouldn't trust something like this to stay in place while I'm trying to get into the boat. Not to mention carrying or holding anything besides just my own personal weight. Second, as shown in the third picture on the listing, the brackets on top of the platform that hold the ladder to it seem to go almost halfway back on the depth of the platform. Which imo seems like something that someone could easily trip or slip on, or step on without shoes or sandals and possibly make them fall in the water or out of the boat. If I was looking for a fiberglass swim platform, I'd personally get something like this where the mounts and bolts for the ladder are on the bottom, which will help prevent any tripping or slipping hazards. They also say that the maximum weight capacity is around 550 lbs, which is almost double what the other one is.

I had the type he shows on a previous boat and the brackets were never an issue, in fact I didn't even notice them except when cleaning. Weight rating was never an issue either, but everyone is different in that area of course.