Seafarer 226 Length on trailer

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hello,

First post here and hopefully many more to come. I was hoping a few of you Seafarer 226 owners would be able to help me out by measuring the overall length of your boat on a trailer from the trailer coupler to the end of the propellers with the engine tilted up enough for trailering.

I’d also entertain the idea of a Seafarer 228 but the parking space I have to work with is just a hair over 29 feet long so that definitely won’t work without heavy modification to the space.

Thanks in advance!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
32' from the coupler to end of the anti-ventilation plate with the engine verticle. But I have a 5.5" jackplate. So figure 31'6".

Karavan dual axle trailer.

I don't think you are going to be able to fit a 226 in your parking space. My trailer alone is 29'.

Reactions: Holokai

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
32' from the coupler to end of the anti-ventilation plate with the engine verticle. But I have a 5.5" jackplate. So figure 31'6".

Karavan dual axle trailer.

I don't think you are going to be able to fit a 226 in your parking space. My trailer alone is 29'.

Thank you for the reply. Looks like I’ll have to do a little more work to get the parking area long enough.

Anyone know the length of a 228 on the trailer? About 33’6” a fair guess?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Some trailers will have shorter tongues. BUT, you could always get a trailer with a swing-away tongue for storage. Or add a swing-away kit. But if you start with the length of the boat/engine, that will give you a realistic idea. Do you have to have the engine tilted up for storage? Couldn't you tilt it back down once in your spot and then finish backing it in?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Some trailers will have shorter tongues. BUT, you could always get a trailer with a swing-away tongue for storage. Or add a swing-away kit. But if you start with the length of the boat/engine, that will give you a realistic idea. Do you have to have the engine tilted up for storage? Couldn't you tilt it back down once in your spot and then finish backing it in?

Thank you for the quick reply. I’m aware of variations in trailer setup and tongue length as well as boat positioning on the trailer affecting overall length. More than likely I’ll be purchasing a used boat and having it shipped in so I’m looking for what other owners already have as it’ll give me a general idea of what length range the boat/trailer will be.

Swing-away tongues are not an option as I’ll be adding an extending tongue due to the ramp setups here.

Thank you again!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anyone know the length of a 228 on the trailer? About 33’6” a fair guess?

If no one chimes in on a 228 measurement for you, I'll have mine home next Wednesday to do some work on her over the holiday weekend, I can get you a measurement. This is how mine sits in trailering position.
20180129_120542.jpg

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If no one chimes in on a 228 measurement for you, I'll have mine home next Wednesday to do some work on her over the holiday weekend, I can get you a measurement. This is how mine sits in trailering position.
View attachment 8425

I do not mean to hijack this thread. Beautiful boat. Can you tell me what your boat weighs w/ motor, gas and trailer? Do you tow with a 1/2ton?

Thanks
BB

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Never weighed it but rough weight calculation should be around 8K or so. Full fuel, hardtop, motor, 4 batteries, 10 gallon of water, gear, trailer. I pull with a F350 4x4 dually, probably overkill, but a pleasure to tow with.
20180910_141102.jpg

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Never weighed it but rough weight calculation should be around 8K or so. Full fuel, hardtop, motor, 4 batteries, 10 gallon of water, gear, trailer. I pull with a F350 4x4 dually, probably overkill, but a pleasure to tow with.

Thanks very much! That is extremely helpful information. I have an F150; max for me is 9100lb. I had also been considering a Journey 258. Looks like I may be maxed out on a Seafarer 226/228.

Beautiful boat!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you.

Yeah the 258 will put you over. It's not about if you can pull it, it's if you can stop it. Even with the dually, when I had my trailer built, I had brakes put on both axles. Just that much less pressure on the truck to stop it with the extra brake axle. Love my 228!! I considered both the 228 and 258 but felt there was more floor space in the cockpit on the 228 over the 258.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thank you.

Yeah the 258 will put you over. It's not about if you can pull it, it's if you can stop it. Even with the dually, when I had my trailer built, I had brakes put on both axles. Just that much less pressure on the truck to stop it with the extra brake axle. Love my 228!! I considered both the 228 and 258 but felt there was more floor space in the cockpit on the 228 over the 258.

Thanks for the input of 228 vs 258! I have not spent any time on a 258; but seeing as how I can't tow it I won't bother looking any further!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 01 226 scaled out at 6600 lbs sitting on the same Loadmaster Trailer as KYGradys. That was with a hardtop and about 80 gallons of fuel on board. (Mine had the aux tank as well).

At the time, I towed it with a 6.0 Yukon Denali and a 5.3 Tahoe.

My 225 weighs a bit less (about 6000 on the scale). My guess is less fiberglass for the cabin. The weight of the hardtop on the 226 is likely offset by the weight of the bracket on the 225.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 01 226 scaled out at 6600 lbs sitting on the same Loadmaster Trailer as KYGradys. That was with a hardtop and about 80 gallons of fuel on board. (Mine had the aux tank as well).

At the time, I towed it with a 6.0 Yukon Denali and a 5.3 Tahoe.

My 225 weighs a bit less (about 6000 on the scale). My guess is less fiberglass for the cabin. The weight of the hardtop on the 226 is likely offset by the weight of the bracket on the 225.

Thanks - that is great info actually. That is around 1400lb less which is significant. I'm maxed out at 9100lbs on my 1/2 ton. I don't want to be pulling 9000 that is for sure. 6600 or so is extremely reasonable. Maybe a 258 is still possible ? I would love to hear from a 258 owner regarding weight of a boat on trailer w/ engines and loaded for water. I still suspect it is too close to my max.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks - that is great info actually. That is around 1400lb less which is significant. I'm maxed out at 9100lbs on my 1/2 ton. I don't want to be pulling 9000 that is for sure. 6600 or so is extremely reasonable. Maybe a 258 is still possible ? I would love to hear from a 258 owner regarding weight of a boat on trailer w/ engines and loaded for water. I still suspect it is too close to my max.
If you go to Grady's website, you can do all the calculations based on the specs of the boat easily enough and get an accurate assessment of the weight. The only thing you wouldn't know from Grady's website would be engine(s) weight, which is easy enough to find - or just figure 500lbs per engine as a roundabout figure. And the trailer - but figure 1,200 to 1,500lbs for a galvanized trailer and about 1,000lbs for an aluminum. The rest is just simple math.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If you go to Grady's website, you can do all the calculations based on the specs of the boat easily enough and get an accurate assessment of the weight. The only thing you wouldn't know from Grady's website would be engine(s) weight, which is easy enough to find - or just figure 500lbs per engine as a roundabout figure. And the trailer - but figure 1,200 to 1,500lbs for a galvanized trailer and about 1,000lbs for an aluminum. The rest is just simple math.

True. For some reason I feel like real world info is more trustworthy! I will pull up some specs on the 258 when I get home tonight.

Thanks again!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Full fuel on mine is 148 gallons. Parthery weighed in with 80 gallons but could go to 148. When fully loaded and rigged out for fishing, you'll be over the 6600. You might want to keep your search in the 226 category as it doesn't have the bracket which adds a little more weight to the package. I did a little more calculating and not counting gear on board like tackle, coolers, I'm seeing 7205. Dry weight without engines is 4320 on the 258. Standard fuel load is 127 gallons with an optional 41 gallons more in auxiliary tank, 10 gallons of water, weight of hardtop, trailer, batteries rough estimate is 8085, then add fishing gear, coolers and such you'll be well into the 8K and above range. A 258 is doable probably with the F150, but it'll be a load for it.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
To the original poster of this thread, Holokai, I'll have my boat home tomorrow evening and will post the measurements for my 228 for you.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
True. For some reason I feel like real world info is more trustworthy! I will pull up some specs on the 258 when I get home tonight.

Thanks again!
Specs on Grady's website - assuming you can add properly :) -- will be close enough as to make no difference. Besides, how do you know somebody reporting their weight is accurately reporting it? Nothing against anyone in particular here, but there's more variables when relying on one of us Joe Schmoes than there is by the specs.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The 258 is probably cutting it way to close to max for my truck. I'm not looking to buy a F250 at any point and likely will get anothe 1/2 ton. Realistically the 226/228 likely is my max boat for what I can tow. Still will be a amazing Great Lakes / Lake Superior Boat I think!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Specs on Grady's website - assuming you can add properly :) -- will be close enough as to make no difference. Besides, how do you know somebody reporting their weight is accurately reporting it? Nothing against anyone in particular here, but there's more variables when relying on one of us Joe Schmoes than there is by the specs.

That's where my numbers came from, part from the specs and part from real world info for my own situation, i.e. I'm packing 4 batteries whereas most 226/228 will only have 2.