seafarer 228 fresh water system

rml2112

Reaction score
I Just Purchased a 2000 seafarer that sat much of its life in a slip,
Is there an easy way to drain the fresh water tank.
I was going to sanitize it with a very small amount of bleach, them pump much of through.
Any other thoughts on how to do this
Thanks
bob

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would add some bleach to the tank through the fill. you may let it sit for a bit and then let the cabin sink flush the tank empty.

Stonewall

Reaction score
Yep - add bleach and take it for a ride. Let it sit for a day or two then rinse and repeat. It will come clean. Then when you are done add fresh water and a half bottle of the cheapest white wine you can fine. Then rinse for the final time.

Then when you fill the tank you must add some of the water freshener (tabs or liquid) every time. Especially if you are using well water as opposed to "City" water.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
So, does the wine take out the "bleachy" taste or does it serve some other purpose? Curious minds want to know....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think the idea is to drink half the bottle and pour the rest in the tank, then it's not so much a chore one doesn't enjoy! (same goes for cleaning toilet/bathroom at home, beer works too!)

On another note, the ratio of clorox to water I recall reading was 8 oz per 10 gallons, filled all the way to top and let run thru faucets, rinse out twice with water only, all the way to top. The pickup on the tank is on the side low and to the rear, but plenty of water remains in tank even when faucets run dry. At least on my tank.

So I'd say don't add any clorox as maintenance additive, IMHO.

Water smells fresh when done, like swimming pool water.
Clorox worked better than the fresheners I bought, threw them in garbage. Clorox on sale is $1.29 per gallon.

Repeat process when water smells again, you will know the smell when it comes.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've never had to "clean" mine with anything. Early on I used the water freshener from West Marine. My tank is emptied frequently enough that the water seems to be OK.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When I first bought my boat, the lines and tank had black crud lining them, and an odor to the added water.

The black crud is gone.
No more odor.

I only do treatment once a season.

Use plenty of water.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just took the filter off my freshwater pump and found it had some type of crystals in the screen. They appeared clear and hard...not sure if its just minerals from the water or what. Anyway, cleaned it and reinstalled.