Seafarer 228 Garmin 8610xvs vs new Simrad Evo3s?

rubilacx

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was JUST about to go with the Garmin 8610xvs.. and I saw the new Simrad Evo3s. I have to replace it all anyway...

My 2008 Seafarer Garmin system has gone out... So i'm in the market for replacing the MFD, transducer, XM radio, and potential radar.

Anyone have thoughts on which one might get the edge when integrating those components?

Also... I've always had a single display... but I'm figuring it might be time to go to dual displays and build the panel out right. Has anyone made the switch from single to dual displays lately? Do you now consider it worth the effort... or do you consider it not much of an upgrade?

Timcan

Reaction score
Here are 2 evo 3’s 9‘s side by side on a custom box I designed.

Attachments

• 86146267-7662-4960-9645-29F60D8669DA.jpeg
    86146267-7662-4960-9645-29F60D8669DA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have dual 7" displays next to each other. It's nice sometimes but I'd rather have one big 10 or 12" screen. Not sure how big the 228 can fit. Depends on your preference. Only for bottom fish do I use map and DownVu at the same time to fish structure. For salmon trolling I don't really need 2 screens once I find the spot with bait.

How big of holes you want to cut?

Can't comment of the Simrad vs Garmin. I'd like to know the details too. But I know I prefer Garmin over Lowrance all day long.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have dual 7" displays next to each other. It's nice sometimes but I'd rather have one big 10 or 12" screen...

Why would you prefer one 10 or 12 vs two 7s??? If you split a 12, wouldn’t two 7s using full screen be a better view?

Greyduk

Reaction score
Everyone will have their preference. I like the idea of two 7 inch machines so that if one has a problem you can operate temporarily on one.This is on my 226.

226 Garmin.jpg

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why would you prefer one 10 or 12 vs two 7s??? If you split a 12, wouldn’t two 7s using full screen be a better view?

Just my thinking but no real right answer here, pros/cons to both.

7" screens are tiny compared to a 10" and especially a 12". Even a 9" is substantially bigger. Go into a west marine showroom and seen them in person. Go use the 10" then try to use the 7". LOL Like I said I don't use split screen that much and when I do you don't have to split 50/50 you can adjust it to Split 30/70%.

Anyway that's my thinking, I have 2 - 7" which fits nicely but not a big modern screen. Besides if you're not fishing depth is just a number that you seen in the corner of the map view. So really depends on how you fish in my opinion. For bottom fish, I can see wanting 2 screens at the same time.

Are you going to run 2 transducers?

Can't really go wrong either way. I'm imagining 10" is all that can fit in the 228 box? Someone can probably correct me though.

For a solid economical dedicated sounder. Look at the Garmin Striker 7" w/ sidescan and downVu CHRIP for a great sounder at a price less than EchoMaps: https://amzn.to/3mq2Lcx $499 or $399 without sidescan.

What does the Evo do that's better than Garmin? I saw they had this feature that you could tap a sonar target and it would map it, That maybe a reason to get a single unit unless both units talk via NEMA 2000?

Last edited:

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
I think the difference is like Ford vs Chevy but my brother has the Simrad NSS 12 evo3 with the radar and it's really nice. Not sure if two integrated units can do this but one feature I really like is being able to tap on a bottom feature on the sonar to create a way point in the plotter allowing you to navigate back to it. Another nice feature is overlaying the radar on the chart but we found out it's necessary to buy the electronic compas and NEMA interface or that won't work. Easy to use and works great with the 1k Airmar. Having the knobs and buttons are really helpful when running in a chop vs touch screen only would be difficult to control.

I'm measuring to see if I can fit the NSS Evo3 9" in my 228 without cutting anything. Not looking to do a flush mount so if it fits in the elections compartment that's probably how I'll go.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is a similar discussion in the General category.

I'm currently running 2 Lowrance Carbon 7's but will be going to one Simrad NSS 12 during the winter. Measurements I've taken and seen online,,, it should fit.

20201026_173025.jpg

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the difference is like Ford vs Chevy but my brother has the Simrad NSS 12 evo3 with the radar and it's really nice. Not sure if two integrated units can do this but one feature I really like is being able to tap on a bottom feature on the sonar to create a way point in the plotter allowing you to navigate back to it. Another nice feature is overlaying the radar on the chart but we found out it's necessary to buy the electronic compas and NEMA interface or that won't work. Easy to use and works great with the 1k Airmar. Having the knobs and buttons are really helpful when running in a chop vs touch screen only would be difficult to control.

I'm measuring to see if I can fit the NSS Evo3 9" in my 228 without cutting anything. Not looking to do a flush mount so if it fits in the elections compartment that's probably how I'll go.

Funny that's the bottom tap is the exact feature I referenced above. I think Ray Marine does it too. Very cool. Maybe new Garmins do it as well? As for the radar overlay on a map my 5 year old Garmin does that without having to buy any electronic compass or have any NEMA network connections. Gotta say, once I went flush mount I'll never go back.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
I've been oogling over the flush mount photos but I really like that space behind for storing hats, cozies, sunglasses, flares etc...
The only major concern I have with more and larger displays is I like to leave the FF on while fishing which can really draw down the batteries.

One thing to add on the Simrad radar, not sure if Garmin does this but it has a setting that allows you to see trails of objects so you can determine if their modern and the speed and direction, very nice.

Last edited:

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been oogling over the flush mount photos but I really like that space behind for storing hats, cozies, sunglasses, flares etc...
The only major concern I have with more and larger displays is I like to leave the FF on while fishing which can really draw down the batteries.

One thing to add on the Simrad radar, not sure if Garmin does this but it has a setting that allows you to see trails of objects so you can determine if their modern and the speed and direction, very nice.

Tranducer power will be a way bigger factor in power consumption 500w vs 1000w. You better keep your expensive fishfinder on while your're fishing! :p If you're battery can't handle that you've got other issues. But I get it on the storage space. I lost a glove compartment flushing mounting on my old boat and thought it would be a big deal but I never missed it. Just having the screens closer and easier to reach and read made me enjoy the boat so much more. Ergonomics are important IMHO. Security is nice to have with the factory Grady electronics door, I miss that.

Trails! That would be very nice. I just have the Basic Garmin HD radar (smallest raydome). Don't have that. Also the targets on the map overlay are hard to read can't change color. I think you have to setup in radar systems to get trails with Garmin.

Would like to see all the features that other people have on other radar systems and mapping. So many choices and they just keep getting better!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went Simrad NSS12 Evo3 in my electronic box last week. Got frustrated with the Carbon's not powering up without multiple times of disconnecting the power wire. Extremely pleased with the Simrad unit. Love the size of the big screen and even the split screen is way more visible than the 7's ever thought about being. My thinking when I started out with my 7's was each a dedicated screen, GPS on one, FF on the other. After having both setups, I have to say, I'm much happier with the single screen, even with the info bar active, which can be turned off, I can see more details on the single screen split. Was also able to eliminate the hub since everything plugs into the back on the 12.

20201026_173025.jpg20201029_112536.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Funny that's the bottom tap is the exact feature I referenced above. I think Ray Marine does it too. Very cool. Maybe new Garmins do it as well? As for the radar overlay on a map my 5 year old Garmin does that without having to buy any electronic compass or have any NEMA network connections. Gotta say, once I went flush mount I'll never go back.
yes you can mark a waypoint from Garmin sonar if it also has mapping.
If you want acturate heading and want to use MARPA tracking on your radar you need a heading sensor.
Garmin has a network connection for radar not NMEA 2k. No radar uses N2k, too much data....well maybe thats changing ...I see Furuno now has a wifi radar to your iOS device...

True MFDs have network (ethernet)connections. GPS/FF combos do not. Combos can't display a radar, they can't share screens, they can't share sonar.
You gotta be careful before you buy the thing that "looks just as good" for less money.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with the above but I think some of the newer combos have radar. For example, the GO7 XSE has no radar capabilities but the GO7 XSR does have radar capabilities.

However, I thought I could have two combos and share the transducer but you can’t . They don’t really talk to each other outside of sharing waypoints data, I believe.