Seafarer 228 - Livewell seacock

dobson_c

Reaction score
Hi all,

My livewell fills no problems with the seacock open and pump running.

But when I turn off the pump, the water runs out through the seacock (ie through the inlet). This seems a little strange to me. I would have thought there would have been a one-way valve on the inlet so that the water would be contained within the livewell until I drained it by unscrewing the vertical drain pipe.

So at the moment, the only way I can keep the water in the livewell with the pump off is to shut the seacock.

Is this normal?

Cheers

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you have the center post installed? Mine drains through the center of the livewell. The post should be stored in a bracket on the cover.

dobson_c

Reaction score
haha - yep, I have the center standpipe drain installed properly. I have it screwed all the way down to the black flange.

The following 2 cirumstances occur when the pump is turned off:

a) Seacock open - livewell drains
b) Seacock closed - livewell stays full, up to the top of the standpipe

odd...

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That is odd...not the way mine works. It does sound like a bad check valve or something like that.

dobson_c

Reaction score
Looking at the plumbing diagram (pg 6-19 in the 2001 use manual), there does appear to be a check valve between the inlet on the tank and the seacock. Looks like I may need a new one of those. Thanks for your help Strikezone, much appreciated.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Only downside is you will have to remove the livewell to get to that check valve.

The good news is, while you have the livewell out, you can take care of the float switch, as well :D

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sounds like you're not getting a good seal with the stand pipe. The boat should also have a threaded plug to seal the stand pipe area. Can you try putting the threaded plug in while livewell is full and see if it holds water then? If it does hold water, then I would suspect that the threads on the standpipe may be worn.

Rob

dobson_c

Reaction score
Thanks Rob. If I leave the well full (with the drain pipe in) and the seacock closed. The water stays in no probs - therfore I don't think it is a thread / standpipe issue. If I do the same with the seacock open, the water drains.