Seafarer 228

rml2112

Reaction score
I have a 2000 model seafarer with a yamaha 225 2 stroke ,I have had a strange thing happen twice since i have owned this boat.
With a fairly large load ( 4 guys & Full fuel) while getting on plane the motor really labored and shook for a few seconds then planed out normally. I thought at first that i spun the hub in the prop because the rpm went higher than normal.
after i put the boat on the trailer i noted the engine trim tab was missing. thats the second time i have lost one I torqued it pretty well.
any ideas?

Thanks
Bob

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Same problem here with the zinc. I've had a problem keeping them on since I got the boat. Last time I even bought a new bolt and used Loctite. It did stay on a lot longer but it eventually came off. In fact, this is a good reminder for me to buy a replacement. Mine came off earlier this spring and I've been running without.
:bang

seasick

Reaction score
I don't think the two issues are directly related. I do suggest that you check the prop for damage caused by the tab falling off and I suggest you check the hub for evidence of spinning. Your description sounded like a spun hub except for the rough operation part. That leads me to suspect cavitation. That can be caused by the wrong prop, incorrect trim or wrong motor height. I would play with the motor trim first to see if that helps. It may be trimmed up too high.

rml2112

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,
I didn't Notice until yesterday that it also vibrated the 5200 sealant from around the Grady Drive to Transom joint, Mostly on the bottom of the drive. I think that most of happened when the trim tab went off,
I replaced my trim tab installed my spare prop and will give the boat a run on sunday and see how it is.

MixinItUp

Reaction score
Based on your last post.....

If you haven't already done it, it's time to pull the bracket pie-plate to see if your bracket has water in it. The Grady brackets are not solid at the transom and cracked 5200 will lead to water in the bracket which will cause the boat to sit very low in the stern and perform poorly. Take it from a fellow 228 owner here in Savannah(2001 model and now a 2006) with personal experience with this issue, water in that bracket will cause the boat to do funny things. When you put the plate back on, put a bead of silicone all the way around. Once you confirm that it is dry, make a point to notice exactly where the water level hits the trim cylinders. You can use this as a reference to see if the bracket is taking on water.

Padgett
Mixin'ItUp
Savannah, GA

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Seasick,
Regarding your comment on the spun/slipping hub, I need to ask a newbie question. When a hub goes, does it usually go all at once, or does it slip a little every now and then until it finally fails? In other words, is it an incremental thing, or is it all or nothing?

Thanks for your help.

SwampGrizz

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've seen hubs slip both ways: either a complete failure where the boat would barely move to a slight slip only when under load. Once they start to slip, they will ultimately fail completely.

You can check for slippage by making a mark with a colored sharpie pen or a file on the inside and outside of the rubber shock absorber in the hub. Run the boat for a short while and check to see if the marks are still in alignment. If the hub is slipping the marks will often be gone. You will often see abrasion marks on the brass surface if the hub is spinning free.

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Doc,
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I appreciate your help.

SwampGrizz

rml2112

Reaction score
I will have to check it for leaks ,it didn't sit any lower in the water than usual,
Ran great with my spare prop. I really should mark the hub of the old prop and run it and see if it slips

Bob