seafarer 228g vs voyager

kaiyasdad

Reaction score
trying to decide which one to get. the seafarer is a 05/06 with a 250 yamaha 4 stroke, the voyager is a 02 w/twin 115hp 4 stroke. can anyone give me their opinion of the two and help me decide which to get. its gonna be a fishing boat which i will keep slipped in san diego, ca. thanks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Voyager is a bigger boat in length, but not by much. It is unusually fitted with twins, which may be desiable (mandatory for some) for reliability from breakdown at sea, or undesirable for twice maintenance costs and some fuel economy loss.

Some people say (not me) with boats the bigger the better but the two models are so close if later you want a bigger boat, you need to go much bigger to get satisfaction.

The newer boat may have the the extended mtor warranty, see if it does, then you will have warranty remaining on motor, also very desiable in case something occurs.

Good luck.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I don't like the cockpit set-up for fishing on the Voyager. If you're a hardcore fisherman but the Seafarer BUT the Voyager is a bigger boat if you want to run offshore. Not sure how twin 115's would be on that boat. Seems minimal to me.

1stgrady

Reaction score
The two engine safe net. I have owned 3 boats with twins. I have known so many others who have also. Most of the problems you will have as long as you maintain the motors pretty good will be fuel related. Meaning even if it is twins and you have fuel problems as they will usually feed from the same source. Give me one well maintained motor with good fuel anyday. If I have one with fuel problems it will only cost have as much to fix.

Go for 75 to 80% of the max hp. More if you carry a lot of weight for most trips. Meaning it you carry 4 or 5 200lb Bubbas most of the time with gear and full tanks go high. If it is you and the wife with the kid usually go lower.

Never loss an engine keeping it 4200 or less with proper maintenance.

Get the one that fits your budget and needs. Bigger is not really better when it comes to boats. Use, amount of use and what you can afford to keep in good running condition is what I would consider.