Seafarer 228G: When Was The Last Major Design Change?

tboylan

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a clean 228G and am curious to know when the last major design change(s) occurred (hull or otherwise). Judging by pics on Boattrader.com and Boats.com, it appears 228's built in 2000 look nearly identical to a current model. Any info. you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

tboylan

Reaction score
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The window configuration on the cabin changed in 1998. The switch panel changed in 2006. The hardtop got a full length e-box in 2001. Other than that, basically the same since 1993.

zimm

Reaction score
Parthery said:
The window configuration on the cabin changed in 1998. The switch panel changed in 2006. The hardtop got a full length e-box in 2001. Other than that, basically the same since 1993.

I think that 1998 window change also upgraded to the wrap around curved windshield.

The switch panel change moved the switches from the starboard gunwale (where the driver can bump switches) to a new shaped panel to the front/right of the driver.

Pre '06 style:
IMG_0954_zpseb629a0a.jpg

'06+ style:
grady-white-seafarer-228-4.jpg

tboylan

Reaction score
Great info guys thanks! Now the challenge is finding a nice one someone wants to part with.

zimm

Reaction score
I just remembered reading something about grady moving the fuel tank forward to better balance the heavier 4 strokes. Was that in '03? My tank is located aft and there's a huge empty space under the floor for an aux tank. I've read about some owners putting hinges on the lid, and finishing the space to make "coffin locker". Putting a 4 stroke on the older hulls puts the scuppers further under water at the stern.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a "Coffin Locker" I keep an extra anchor, line, tackle box, fenders, all kinds of stuff in there.

zimm

Reaction score
Grady_Crazy said:
I have a "Coffin Locker" I keep an extra anchor, line, tackle box, fenders, all kinds of stuff in there.

Got pics? How'd you finish the interior?

GulfSea

Reaction score
Grady_Crazy said:

I would like to see pics too. I've considered doing something similar.

ENichols56

Reaction score
I cut a hole in that front compartment and put a hatch in my '84 seafarer. Didn't have factory fresh water so I put a 20 gal tank and pump in there. Still have plenty of room for "stuff" now. Built a wood grate to make the bottom flat and so if any water gets in there my gear doesn't stay wet and the water can run back to the bilge pump.