Seafarer Autopilot Pump Location

BRO-CAL

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi All - I'm considering installing a Garmin or Simrad autopilot on my Seafarer. For those that have tackled this project before - where have you installed the pump and heading sensor? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I mounted the pump on the cabin bulkhead behind the helm rigging box below the wheel. I located the heading sensor inside the cabin above the step. This was a bad idea since it can get wet and stepped on. I need to make a starboard box to protect it.

Some heading sensors are waterproof and can be mounted on the top of the cabin or a T-top. It turns out that it doesn’t need to be on the centerline. It just needs to be parallel to it.

My computer is inside the cabin on the bulkhead in front of the wheel.

Reactions: BRO-CAL

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I fixed the pump on a S/S angle with rubber base ( so it doesn't vibrate).
As you can see I removed the bulkhead, I positioned it under the dash next to the waste pipe. She is very close to the steering helm so you don't need long hoses. You can T on the helm or the pump, I found it easier to T on the pump ( more room there). Instructions will tell you where to connect the hoses.
I don't know how old your helm is, if very old you will need adaptors because the AP will have orb fittings . Your pre 2008 hemp could have NPT fittings.
Get the right fittings, don't cut any hoses .
The computer is in the cabin just behind it so I can keep the cables neat and tidy.
The virtual rudder is located in the cabin in the compartment forward where the porta potty goes, again I ran the cables under the starboard bunk .
I moved the 228 badge to the left so cab fit the Simrad gauge .
I have my MFD on the dash so I can see it from the back of the boat when trolling. Most people fix it in the box or fix a panel on the box and fix it on the panel. If I did that I would want another one at the rear of the boat.
Once you have everything fixed and wired up you need to bleed the hydraulic fluid, very easy to do and then calibrate the AP, agian very easy just follow the instructions on your AP 44 MFD or check youtube.

Good luck with it.

1620814569111.png

1620814792300.png
1620814967124.png

1620815764963.png
1620816043416.png