Seafarer Cabin Strength for Radar Arch

Seafarer228_G

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Installed a radar arch on my 1994 Grady Seafarer 228g and mounted a 4’ open array on it. The radar pedestal/antenna on top of the array weighs 60lbs and the arch is mounted to the cuddy cabin with round metal plates which sandwhich the cabin. The arch also weighs 60lbs (120lbs total). I can do chin-ups on the arch, and the cabin also feels super strong. Both feel solid and secure but wondering if the stress and strain on the cuddy cabin especially over time with motion from waves will be an issue. How strong are the cabin walls and should I be worried?

IMG_2684.jpg
Capture.JPG
IMG_2685.PNG

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How thick was the glass there? Was it solid glass, no coring? We can see the backing plate in the last photo, on the port side. If there was a question of strength, it looks like you had room to go larger with the backing plate. I might consider using a 6 inch circular material that would stick to 5200, unlike starboard, on the inside, which would actually strengthen the wall there, where as a metal backing plate just spreads the load. I would use the backing plate as well.
Overall, the installation looks very nice, and very functional.

Reactions: Seafarer228_G

Seafarer228_G

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, when I drilled through the cabin walls there were wood chips that came out so it did appear to have a wood core. I'd estimate 2 inches thick. I went with the 3.5" diameter by 1/4" thick backing plate that came with the arch but a larger plate might be a good idea and apprecaite the suggestion. Here are some better pictures showing the plates on the inside and outside which are bolted together with silicone in between. Unfortuately on one side of the cabin when drilling the mounting holes, the drill grabbed the carpet and tore it but lesson learned...drill slow:

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

billyttpd

Reaction score
I think the arch by itself is fine but that is alot of radar. Run it and see reinforce it later if you need to I dont think you to worry about a collapse but check fir spider webbing around the bolt holes. Is that an Atlantic Tower Arch in a box? I've heard good things about them

Reactions: Seafarer228_G

Seafarer228_G

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It is a lot of radar but I'm lookin for birds :)

Apprecaite the advice, will keep a close eye on it, Yes, it's an Atlantic Tower fishing arch. They make a really nice product, amazing shipping/packaging and are easy to talk by phone. The videos and documentation they have for installation are pretty bad. Most videos are user made and they made one video in the 90's but the highest quality you can view is 240p so you can't really see what they're doing. The main document you use for install was scanned sideways so it's annoying to look at and not searchable....Happy with the tower but some serious teeth grinding during install.

Reactions: mjm1957