Seafarer chartplotter install today!

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Finally got my 1243 Garmin...this thing is huge! I measured ten times before buying,So I suspected it wasnt going to fit anywhere. Either way, was shocked at size of the screen.

It didn't fit in the electronic box, or on the face of it (a 943 will fit the opening). I removed my gauges and covers and started pondering my options. This dash layout sucks, the newer dashes are way easier to deal with. My mission was not to cut or drill any glass and be able to return to original configuration.

I have a bunch of really fancy plywood and a knack for wood, figured my first go should just cost me time. I started with a stick frame, nothing is square or straight in this dash. Had to cut some really strange angles. Slowly i built it up so the that I had clearances for wiring out of the sounder. Was nearly hitting my throttle when it was wide open. Would recommend cutting the glass between the two dash openings for my clearance, it would allow you to push the plotter back into the dash more.

Still undecided on how to finish up the bottom. Gauges are slightly covered, but not the part that matters. Ended up with a nice little phone storage spot. I could squeeze the gauges up beside the plotter, not sure If the wires reach. I offset the screen to leave room for more stuff and so the throttle doesn't hit it.

Going to talk to local glass guy and see what he thinks, maybe a coat of resin then gel coat? Not my department...short term plan is to ordered some thin plastic sheet for the face, maybe skin the hole thing. Could order some starboard and rebuild using old one for a template, nothing is glued yet. Hoping I can make the thing white attach a piece of black plastic to the front face and call it good.

PXL_20210410_033403899.jpgPXL_20210407_024137289.jpgPXL_20210410_042737628~2.jpgPXL_20210410_050647615~2.jpgPXL_20210411_040449800~2.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Tough fit for me too.with 4210. I has to hack the electronics box, in a repairable way, to get the unit to fit. I used seafoam Starboard to trim out and flush mount

4210c.jpg 4210a.jpg 4210b.jpg

Installed the 943xsv in the overhead. Build a tray out of starboard. Unit mounts on tray that hooks into two screws and screws down with two knobs. Allows me to push the unit all the way over to left side.

Overhead bx.jpeg

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Finally got my 1243 Garmin...this thing is huge! I measured ten times before buying,So I suspected it wasnt going to fit anywhere. Either way, was shocked at size of the screen.

It didn't fit in the electronic box, or on the face of it (a 943 will fit the opening). I removed my gauges and covers and started pondering my options. This dash layout sucks, the newer dashes are way easier to deal with. My mission was not to cut or drill any glass and be able to return to original configuration.

I have a bunch of really fancy plywood and a knack for wood, figured my first go should just cost me time. I started with a stick frame, nothing is square or straight in this dash. Had to cut some really strange angles. Slowly i built it up so the that I had clearances for wiring out of the sounder. Was nearly hitting my throttle when it was wide open. Would recommend cutting the glass between the two dash openings for my clearance, it would allow you to push the plotter back into the dash more.

Still undecided on how to finish up the bottom. Gauges are slightly covered, but not the part that matters. Ended up with a nice little phone storage spot. I could squeeze the gauges up beside the plotter, not sure If the wires reach. I offset the screen to leave room for more stuff and so the throttle doesn't hit it.

Going to talk to local glass guy and see what he thinks, maybe a coat of resin then gel coat? Not my department...short term plan is to ordered some thin plastic sheet for the face, maybe skin the hole thing. Could order some starboard and rebuild using old one for a template, nothing is glued yet. Hoping I can make the thing white attach a piece of black plastic to the front face and call it good.

View attachment 19953View attachment 19952View attachment 19954View attachment 19955View attachment 19956
I enameled mine with paint I had left over from another project. Resin then gel coat would look the best I think. Was in the same situation as you. Nice job so far. Update us down the road!

20200303_134508.jpg