Seafarer deck plates

gw204

Reaction score
Anyone ever replaced these 4" deckplates with 6" ones?

photo46.jpg

As it sits, there isn't enough room to get a 6" one in there. But, if I were to notch the teak trim it could be done. My only real concern is any water running down the walkaround would dump all over a 6", whereas a 4" is mostly shielded. Also, I'm not sure how much extra access the 6" would give me with the fish boxes being right behind them.

Thoughts?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I had this done, expanding the vertical plate wasn't going to gain much more access, particularly lower down. I'll have to seal the new plate, but it won't be used very often so that's OK ... :wink:

DSC00312Small.jpg

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I installed speakers in that hole and had to cut larger than original and turned out great. The Lowrance (fusion) speakers that came with the Sonic Hub fit great and I sealed them, so no water gets in. Otherwise, you can make your own covers out of 1/2" starboard, route the edges with a roundover bit and they will look fine. Seal with silicone and your set.

gw204

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I definitely don't want to cut into the floor, and the rect. hatches I've seen don't don't seal as well as the round deckplates. The speakers are in interesting option though. RobertH, do you have any pics of your installation?

Going to pull that piece of teak off and get a better idea of what will and what won't fit.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well, I tried to post the pic, but board quota is reached. Not sure why this keeps happening on this site? Anyone know?

gw204

Reaction score
Well, an upgrade to 6" plates isn't possible w/out some glasswork. The large plates would have to be placed lower and this would cause some of the existing cutout to be exposed. I could close it up with glass and gelcoat, but I don't feel like getting into all that right now. :(

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
gw204, still no response from site moderator on why I can't post a pic/attachment due to quota reached.

I did find an older post where I did put in a pic of my first set of Sony speakers. Link is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16553

I just cut up the original pie plate to see if this would work and it did. I have since installed the Lowrance Sonic Hub that came with speakers a little larger and went ahead and made new rings out of starboard and it came out really nice. The starboard was necessary to push out the speaker some so the magnet did not touch the insulation on the livewell and fish box. I have some better pics, but until we find out the mystery why we can't post pics anymore, I am unable to provide them. Even tried a PM, but seems that method does not allow pics or attachments.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian, I added some pics to Picasa so hope this link will work for you:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1050768872 ... erAddition
Ok, should be able to post pics now.
First pic is 6" Sony speaker with original pie plate cut up to fit as a flange.
Second pic is Lowrance 6-1/2" that came with Sonic Hub and created a new starboard flange ring to keep magnet from laying against fish box/livewell.

Attachments

• Speaker Lowrance 2.jpg
    Speaker Lowrance 2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3,068
  • Speaker 1.JPG
    Speaker 1.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 3,068

Boss Tog

Reaction score
Hey Robert. That speaker idea is great. What did you use to seal them? Have they survived the elements? How difficult was running the speaker wire on port and starboard sides?
Thanks,

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like using the GE Silicone II in almond color that matches the Grady hull color exactly. The speakers have held up with no issues so far. My Sony's are nearing 2 years and the Lowrance are nearing a year and still look brand new and no signs of corrosion.
Running speaker wires was not much trouble, at least for this model boat.
Definatelly a great spot as they sound good in this location as well, and I seem to get some good base with the airspace behind them.