Seafarer in Georgian Bays worst!

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had a crazy blow Friday night. My spot on the bay has 70 miles of fetch, and depending on who measured we had fifty mph sustained for a good bit. Decided to take out the new (to me) seafarer 226 and give it a go. The wind was ripping the tops of the waves off in the gusts, lots of wind damage on land and power out for a while

She handled the square six and seven footers pretty darn well! So much so, my boss got a call from a guy watching the only idiot out there in a boat...the call was to say the boat looked "magnificent", arrange a test drive, and as far as I know he ordered one for next year! Go Grady!

I went out the inlet a few times, trying different things, and was soaked to the underwear by the second time out from the wind when I turned. Right out of the water a few times!

First time messing around with it in any kind of weather and smiles all around! Tried to stuff the bow and no dice.

No buyer's remorse here!

Fishtales

Reaction score
next time arrange for a video!

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The wife is wanting to get me a go pro for Christmas to record various shenanigans. Might be able to arrange that the next time!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hutchy,

While I admire your enthusiasm for boating, there will come a time when you will look back on that decision to take a 22 ft boat out in those conditions and you will think "what was I thinking". Good luck with that fine boat, have fun and stay safe.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Halfhitch,

Thanks for the concern! Have been cruising Georgian Bay and the great lakes since before I was born, and had many a harrowing trip back from wherever it was we were. Boat was a 36 cigarette for most of it, and had times when even in that we had no business being where were. This was a relatively controlled setting, with protected areas on each side, and cottages etc. From a risk management standpoint, the water was warm, friends at the marina knew where I was, and I always have a cell phone on me. When out and about on the bay where I trap, work, and play a waterproof phone is a necessity.

Had there been more risk factors such as freezing water, a poorly running engine, fog, rain, snow, lightening, remote location, etc, more caution would need be applied. Was good to see how the boat performed in bad conditions so that someday with the wife and family I can make good decisions regarding being able to safely travel. My wife does not come from a boating background, and her perception of danger and risk is much different than reality- but still it is her reality... She tends to get scared out of sight of land with no other factors in play. Also, running in fog with a good chart plotter on my other boat scares her. Part of my goal was to show her it handles the worst well so she can be more confident in ordinary conditions which may otherwise scare her. One of the reasons I got the Grady was because it is a boat she can learn to trust and increase her enjoyment of boating, which inherently carries with it some risk.

I manage a construction crew that builds custom cottages strictly on Georgian Bay. It is always a nightmare sending five or six boats ten miles out to various job sites when conditions are less than ideal. We work till ice forces us off. Safety of the crew is of utmost importance and weighing deadlines against the well being of the crew is always a challenge.

Besides, if it wasn't in the Grady, I would have done something really stupid like bring the sea kayak or waverunner out!!

Have fun everyone, and thanks for the great forum. I have been enjoying the info here greatly!

Glacierfloat

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Happy it turned out as it did. In my line of work there’s no place for unnecessary risk. Sadly we’ve learned the hard way “It’s often one’s complacency which leads to their own demise.”