Seafarer modifications

Koz54

Reaction score
Sorry this is long, but I did a lot of modifications. I also used this forum to find many tips and ideas. Thank you all that have gone before me! :D

I bought a 1999 Seafarer 226 in late October 2014. It didn't have everything I wanted, but the price was so excellent I decided to buy it and tweak it the way I wanted. Some (most) would say it was not worth it, but to me it was so that's that. I knew it also meant a lot of elbow grease. It was heavily oxidized, the metal was really pitted, and overall it was very dirty. However the hull is really solid and the motor, a Yamaha OX66 225 checked out great. Previous owner was a mechanic in the Coast Guard and took great care of the motor.

The boat is stored indoors over the winter. That allows me to work on it regardless of the weather. We have a lot of 'extra' space next door the our machine shop. Since I bought it late in the season I only took her out a few times. Over the first winter I installed trim tabs. I replaced the gauge panel with a custom one. Got rid of the rusted clock (amazingly it still worked) and moved the gauges to the right so I could mount a new stereo control unit. I added an amplifier and replaced the speakers. Then is was compound, scrub, polish, and basically rub my hands raw to clean her up to a reasonable degree.

I used the boat a lot last year. There is no hour meter on her, but according to the odometer I put about 450 miles on the hull. My Humminbird unit (only powered on when boat was in use) logged over 750 hours. I got to know the boat well and loved it. This past fall / winter I decided to bite the bullet and add everything that I 'needed'. :roll:

Last November a friend (2004 Seafarer) and myself researched and were trying to find someone to build us a pair of hardtops. Thanks from a tip from Great Grady we found our man.
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23402

The hardtops came out great, but this brings more expense and work. We decided to install electronics boxes. I admit I was wishy-washy about it, but I was eventually persuaded. The selling point was I bought one with 6-1/2 speaker mounts so I can now hear my tunes while underway. Also installed a dome light and spreader lights. I do a lot of night fishing/boating. One thing I didn't like about the Seafarer was the accessory switch locations. Not a big deal, but finding the correct switch was not super convenient. Many times I turned on the wrong device. :roll:

That caused me to add a five switch panel in the electronics box. Now by simple one handed feeling I know what powers what. Mounted a fuse block in there too. The guy that made the hardtop customized a few things for us. One was he added an access plate between the upper and lower tube runs, and drilled through both. This made the wiring super clean as everything is internal. The enclosure was fabricated by a local company that I have used several times before. They do great work, and over the winter they will come to me since the boat is indoors. My friend liked it so much he decided to go with the same company. He had to bring his boat to them, but is picking it up tomorrow.

Last but not least my partner in Seafarer obsession decided that we should flush mount the electronics. The least expensive modification and I now feel one of the best. The other thing I did not like about the Seafarer was the flip up door for the electronics enclosure. I was not a fan of reaching into the box to operate the VHF or XM Radio either. I was going to replace the door but was persuaded to get rid of it instead. We came up with a good way to flush mount that is sturdy and looks good.

One last thing to do is fabricate a hook drying thing-a-ma-jig to mount on the fold down motor well door. (I have a plan in my head) I can remount the three rod holder that was there last year, but I already have 16 rod holders so I think I'm set there.

Put her in the water two weeks ago, but due to weather (wind) and time have not had her out yet this year. Right after work today I'm going fishing! I am happy :D

Attachments

• z001.JPG
    z001.JPG
    733.3 KB · Views: 2,661
  • z002.JPG
    z002.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 2,663
  • z003.JPG
    z003.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 2,664
  • z004.jpg
    z004.jpg
    964.6 KB · Views: 2,664
  • z005.jpg
    z005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,663
  • z006.JPG
    z006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,667
  • z007.jpg
    z007.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 2,665
  • z008.jpg
    z008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,662
  • pre.jpg
    pre.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,662

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Well it came out really nice!
I saw you mentioned the metal being pitted. Thats how my Overnighters windshield from is. I haven't really taken a serious effort to bring it back yet, its on the list though. Were you able to restore yours? If so how?
Mike.

Koz54

Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
Well it came out really nice!
I saw you mentioned the metal being pitted. Thats how my Overnighters windshield from is. I haven't really taken a serious effort to bring it back yet, its on the list though. Were you able to restore yours? If so how?
Mike.

Thanks. Yes, the windshield trim is what was pitted. I used 0000 steel wool with Brasso. It came out 'acceptable'. My fingers were worn down to a nub though.

before

after

Attachments

• trim1.jpg
    trim1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,608
  • trim.jpg
    trim.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 2,609

Reelman5703

Reaction score
Looks great. I have a 94 myself and she flipped on the mooring last year and I just got her back in the other day. Upgraded everything too (Thanks to Allstate). I plan to get some photos up myself.

Are you Northshore or South? I am out of Huntington
For the metal, try woodywax and the bronze wool, maybe brass I mix them up. Help a lot with pitting and luster.

Koz54

Reaction score
Reelman5703 said:
Looks great. I have a 94 myself and she flipped on the mooring last year and I just got her back in the other day. Upgraded everything too (Thanks to Allstate). I plan to get some photos up myself.

Are you Northshore or South? I am out of Huntington
For the metal, try woodywax and the bronze wool, maybe brass I mix them up. Help a lot with pitting and luster.

OUCH! I'm glad that you got it back so quickly. I'd like to see some photos of her.

I'll probably see you out there, I'm out of Smithtown

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The before is definitely where I am at now, and the after is certainly "acceptable". Actually it looks pretty damned good!
I don't know why I didn't think of the bronze wool. I made the mistake of cleaning the rails with an SOS pad and I'll never do that again. Despite my thorough rinsing I still ended up with speckled rust stains near the rear drains. Brasso sounds good and I have heard that woody wax works well. (sounds like a tongue twister :roll: ) Thanks for the tip.
Mike.