Seafarer outrigger installation

jmb392003

Reaction score
Been wanting to add outriggers for awhile now. Still doing research between mounting on hardtop or in gunnels. Got quotes and prices from different dealers and installers that ranged from 5700 to 1052. One Grady dealer quoted me tigress gunnel mounts and poles 1 1/8. In doing research some people recommend the 1.5 inch poles.

Also both Grady dealers stated I could not mount on hardtop if I did not have a bracket welded onto the top, which would cost big bucks if I decided to go that route.

So I am asking other seafarer, voyagers, journey owners where did they mount them and what size mounts/ poles?

Thanks
Jason

Webby208

Reaction score
Jason,

I did my own on a Grady 208. I bought them from Hodges Marine out of New Jersey. I ended up installing the TACO's with 15' expandable's 1 1/2. I did allot of research on the same subject as I was apprehensive about drilling threw the Hardtop. I read a good article somewhere on the web and went ahead with the install. I know some folks might disagree with this idea but I have had no issues what so ever. I cut copper pipe the width of the hardtop (I believe it was 1/4" pipe). I can check to tell you exactly if you want. I drilled my holes for the base plates. The Copper serves as a sleeve for the mounting bolts and prevents the hardtop from beining crushed when you tighten down hardware. I ordered a backing plate from Taco that spreads the load of the Outriggers across a larger distance and reduces stress specifically when they are extended. I have a 97 so far I have had no issues in 3 years. Let me know if you want pics or the exact diameter. Again I don't run hard with mine fully extended but regularly fish offshore and have mind rigged for running a short rigger and a long. I think I have right around a 1,000 in the whole install.

Jon

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the taco 15 ft 1.5 and love them. Installed them with the wedge plates and backing plates from taco, never a problem. I run with the from time to time with them extended, never an issue. I keep the retracted half way most of the time, wrap the line like a cleat around the clamp on rod holders and use a bungee that I made up with hog rings to keep them tight. Unwrap extend and go.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21481

jmb392003

Reaction score
Great replies, 2 for 2 on hardtop installations sounds good so far.

Off the Hook

Reaction score
I just mounted a set of Lee sidewinders to my hardtop. I also called Grady and was told not to do it unless I had the brackets welded to the pipework. The only way to that was to have the hard top removed which I was not going to do. After extensively researching the issue I had the installer weld a pipe from the bottom of the outrigger to the pipework supporting the hardtop. I also installed the backing plates. I am running the 16 foot aluminum poles and have thus far had no issues. I have seen photo after photo of Grady's with outriggers mounted through the hardtop and no welds at at all. Let me know if you need pictures. Good luck

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I installed gunnel mounts on my boat and no issue. Really like them and easy to work with.

Sure, would love to put on hardtop, but those are more expensive and require the welded mounts. Removal of wires and hardtop is not happening.

I saw some Grady's on lots for sale that had the hardtop mounted outriggers but no welded backing plate. Every one of them showed stress cracks around hte mounts, so seems that a welded bracket is required.

Also, I see advantage of a wider spread with gunnel mounts over hardtop mounts being that they are mounted as far out to sides as possible.

The gunnels are very strong and thick. No signs of stress or issue. I run double lines with 3 clips and while in the cockpit, they are easy to reach and handle.

Nothing wrong either way, just depends upon how much you want to spend and how much effort to put into getting mounted to hardtop properly.

zimm

Reaction score
My boat came with gunnel mounted outriggers that the previous owner had installed. I'm not sure of the brand. I'll snap some pics the next time I get to my boat.

jmb392003

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have purchased Taco gunnel mounts, 1.5 inches, with the HD retractable poles. Just heard from too many people that if the hardtop mounts are not welded than it would not be properly done. I will post pics once the job is complete.

cletus9000

Reaction score
I went the through the same struggle as you on my 258. Found a local fabricator who built me some custom backing plates for my Lees outrigger mounts. Where we placed the mounts he was able to put a bead of solder to connect part of the backing plate to the metal hard top support. Came out great and appears very, very solid. This is my first season with it with a few trips offshore with the riggers extended. I keep them retracted the rest of the time when not chasing pelagics. Cost to fabricate and install was $300-$400 if memory serves (he did the work out of his home work shop). Very reasonable cost I thought. So far so good, but time will tell. In the pics you can see the retracted riggers (sorry I don't have a close up) as well as a tuna we caught with them on the first trip with them.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How about some close up pics of the support/install?

cletus9000

Reaction score
OK, snapped a few pics of the top backing plate, bottom plate, and a little bead of solder that connects the tube of the outrigger base to part of the hard top support. Looking at those pics, it also appears that part of the boat is up for some cleaning :D

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the pics! Interesting how the solder spot worked out next to pipe. Convenient and should help with the movement considerably.

Let us know how it works out!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was in WM this past weekend and picked up a pair of 1-1/2" outrigger poles. Dang those are so much heavier than my 1-1/8" poles. It is a whole other league in regards to weight.

I was considering to switch over to the 1-1/2" size next time once I wear these out and maybe go for the 18'ers. But, not sure I want that much weight. I think they would be ok mounted in the gunnels, but on the hardtop, I can see the stress that weight could put on the mounts. Gunnels are much thicker and have the U shape to help strengthen mounting in that area whereas a hardtop without a welded mount would solely rely upon the flexing in the 3/4" or so thickness of the hardtop.

I just didn't realize that there was that much weight difference!

cletus9000

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
I was in WM this past weekend and picked up a pair of 1-1/2" outrigger poles. Dang those are so much heavier than my 1-1/8" poles. It is a whole other league in regards to weight.

I was considering to switch over to the 1-1/2" size next time once I wear these out and maybe go for the 18'ers. But, not sure I want that much weight. I think they would be ok mounted in the gunnels, but on the hardtop, I can see the stress that weight could put on the mounts. Gunnels are much thicker and have the U shape to help strengthen mounting in that area whereas a hardtop without a welded mount would solely rely upon the flexing in the 3/4" or so thickness of the hardtop.

I just didn't realize that there was that much weight difference!

Look into the carbon fiber outriggers. You can get more length and substantially less weight, which is very helpful fishing a spread from a boat with an 8.6 beam like mine. They are stiff too. Check out Bly riggers (google it). That's what I've got on my rig and love em so far.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had considered that, but somewhere a while back I got some feedback that they were not holding up well over time. I don't recall the details, but it was enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth about them. Sorry I could not recall, but something to do with fading badly in the sun and some delamination.

I think if they hold up really well over time, I would definately consider due to the lighter and stiffer nature, but cost is high and I don't want to be the guinea pig on them.

Let us know how they are holding up over time will help us decide later when the time comes. I can be convinced over some time with positive feedback. 8)