Seafarer Re-power options

TIDE

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What I decided is to replace the thermostats, impeller, spark plugs, and poppet valve. Then check coolant passages for buildup causing the overheating concern at higher rpm. If everything checks out internally I can gain about 25hp from replacing the heads and carbon fiber reeds from Hydrotech so that is a decent bump and will squeeze more hp out of the engine until I fully commit to a newer boat thats a little bigger in size.

And yes - the fake teak is bothersome to me as well. I’m looking into either replacing it or painting it.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
This spring I plan on replacing the thermostats and removing the heads to clean out the coolant passages and check the internals. Last year it would trip the overheating alarm if pushed over 4400rpm so I‘m thinking the passages are scaled or a thermostat not opening fully.

I also need to replace the tilt relay and bleed the fluid. It sticks from time to time.
My last motor had low hours on it when I picked the boat up from my brother. It was a '93 Yami 225 with less that 400hrs. I started to get the temp alarm now and again so I ran an acidic fluid through it followed by a base fluid. The amount of calcium white that came out of the motor was insane. I put about 150 hours on it before moving on to the Zuke. I make some good runs offshore and wanted the extra piece of mind when you are outside your towing contract.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Which begs the question, if your tow contract is 40 miles, and you are 45 when you break down, do they charge you for 5 miles of towing, or the full 45?
When I'm outside the tow area someone on my boat has a medical condition. ;)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Or you drifted the 5 miles while waiting for your tow to show up lol

TIDE

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used sea-tow once so far…because I forgot to fill my 2-stroke oil tank about 10 miles from the marina. They were super helpful and was never charged because it came with my insurance policy. That being said - after that happened I re-read my policy and it only covered a few miles. I purchased the unlimited mile tow coverage upgrade that day.