Seafarer Scuppers

Tundra1

Reaction score
Looks like my scuppers are underwater while at rest. 06 Seafarer 228G with 250 on a bracket, full fuel and gear. One has a slight drip at the hose connection that needs to be taken care of. Just wondering if others in the fleet have the same issue. Seems like the scuppers should be above the waterline. I searched the issue and saw some talk on other models. Dont much like the plastic fittings either. Thanks

Jim

fishhrd

Reaction score
The plastic is not much in my opinion either. I do not understand why they still use plastic on a higher end boat like a grady?

richie rich

Reaction score
Yeah, my scuppers are below the waterline as well....seems like a Grady trait being a heavy boat from day one. I thought mine was due to age and some absorption of water into the stringers and transom, but an 06? I would recheck all the connections and use double clamps at the waterline for safety. Not much else you can do. I would hope that Grady would raise the deck height slightly to keep the scuppers above water when fully loaded with gas and gear. Not sure why it's designed this way.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I have an 03 228 225HP 4/S with the exact same issues.
I'm not sure but I believe that Grady put the main fuel tank as far forward as it can go and decided to eliminate the aux fuel tank for more current year model.
My local fiberglass yard quoted my $2,600 to move my 92 gallon tank forward. I won't have the work done; I was just curious.

In my opinion when Grady designed the 228 it was an afterthought from the 226 model and they never knew what type of weight would be out on the end of that bracket with the evolution of 4 stroke and increased HP. There's about 150 pounds too much back there....
Be sure you check inside your Gil bracket to be sure there is no water inside.

Seahunter

Reaction score
The exit of a scupper does not have to be above water to function. As long as the floor is above the water level the scupper will drain.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My '00 Seafarer scuppers are a little below the waterline when loaded with fuel. I have two tanks and a Yamaha 225 2 stroke engine.

If I had a hose leak I would be taking care of that problem before I did anything else. I am also shocked to hear that Grady was using plastic thruhulls on an '06 model. Mine is six years older and doesn't have them.

richie rich

Reaction score
my deck is just slightly above the scupper line...when both tanks are filled the deck takes a long time to drain. I even removed the check ball to see if it would get better...no luck....if the drain line ever let go, I'd be in a little trouble

VinMan

Reaction score
My '06 228 has the same issue. I've had it back to Grady because the hoses were dribbling water also. When we anchor and boat camp in the backwater, you can hear water gurgling up and down the deck drain all night.

My boat lives on a trailer and gets dried out after every camp out or fishing trip so it's not a big deal but I was surprised that it was designed like that. Since our trips are short and our Yamaha 225 sips the gas, I only use the more forward 48 gallon reserve tank. The 90plus gallon aft tank stays close to empty. This may not be an option for you folks who have to travel far for the fish but in south Fla, a hundred feet of water is less than a mile out. Using the forward tank keeps the scuppers out of the water.

Tundra1

Reaction score
Sounds like a widespread issue. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Strikezone, the thru hulls are not plastic, just the deck fittings. I plan on replacing them with a suitable alloy alternative when I reseach it.

Jim