Seafarer Shoot thru transducer?

Osprey

Reaction score
Upgrading to a Furuno fishfinder-can I use a shoot thru transducer or stick with a transom mount. Grady literature shows a transom mount for the Seafarer. Advice appreciated, thanks

flynnaire

Reaction score
You can use either,tran,shoot through or through hull. Going to have to decide what is best for you.

I have a Through hull on mine working great.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They all have their advantages and disadvantages, Transom mounts are easiest to fit and if you don't fish in deep , ie 300ft+ water then it'll be fine. Just have to be careful with the position so that it works at cruise speed.
Alternativel;y if you really want to see detail in deep water then a 1kw thru'hull is the way to go . I have had a previous boat that had 2x 600w transducers , one thru hull and one shoot thru' the difference between them was quite obvious . The shoot thru worked better at speed but the thru' hull had a clearer picture at trolling speed.
On my 265 express I have a 1kw thru hull in a high speed fairing block hooked up to a Furuno 585 and it's the best picture I have seen on any boat at any speed!

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They all have their advantages and disadvantages, Transom mounts are easiest to fit and if you don't fish in deep , ie 300ft+ water then it'll be fine. Just have to be careful with the position so that it works at cruise speed.
Alternativel;y if you really want to see detail in deep water then a 1kw thru'hull is the way to go . I have had a previous boat that had 2x 600w transducers , one thru hull and one shoot thru' the difference between them was quite obvious . The shoot thru worked better at speed but the thru' hull had a clearer picture at trolling speed.
On my 265 express I have a 1kw thru hull in a high speed fairing block hooked up to a Furuno 585 and it's the best picture I have seen on any boat at any speed!

Seahunter

Reaction score
Go with an Airmar B60 thru hull. Beats either hands down and you will not need a fairing block.

If you have a 1kW unit then the Airmar B164 is the ticket.

Osprey

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, installing the Furuno 620 today. Going with the p66 transom mount this season.....time to fish. Is there a sweet spot on a Seafarer for transducer mounting? Tightlines :lol:

Osprey

Reaction score
Update on Furuno 620 install: Fantastic unit! Nice match to the 7 inch Garmin I use for GPS mapping. Both fit in the cabinet . The transom mount is working fine so far. May go to a Airmar B60 thru hull in the future but the now is salmon time. If anyone has put in a B60 in a Seafarer I would like to know the location and is it worth it over the transom mount? Thanks for the info. :lol:

Seahunter

Reaction score
Osprey said:
If anyone has put in a B60 in a Seafarer I would like to know the location and is it worth it over the transom mount? Thanks for the info. :lol:
I've been running one for 2 years now on a Seafarer. The transducer is located roughly 16" from the transom and 7-8" to starboard of the center line.

I'm very happy with the performance and it's a cleaner install than a transom mount. You can't tell if your drifting for running WOT by looking at the display.

flynnaire

Reaction score
B60 10" from center line and working perfectly.

Osprey

Reaction score
Thankyou for the info.....wonder why Grady is not advising a thru hull on a Seafarer? The Furuno 620 and the transom mount are fantastic except for a slight amount of screen clutter above 25 mph. So B60 will go in next season. Fine tuning on manual getting better performance when running and locating bait fish. Thanks again, :lol:

flynnaire

Reaction score
Osprey said:
Thankyou for the info.....wonder why Grady is not advising a thru hull on a Seafarer? The Furuno 620 and the transom mount are fantastic except screen clutter above 25 mph. So B60 will go in. Thanks again, :lol:

?????????