seafarer sitting low in water

drumike102

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am pretty new here but have been boating for quite a while. Recently got my first grady. A 1989 Seafarer 228g with a 89 evinrude 200 on back. The problem I am having is I feel like the boat is sitting a bit low in the water. sitting at the dock the scuppers are below the water line. I was under the impression that this should not be. Also when out when we back her down from cruising speed the water comes up pretty high on the motor. Like up to where the hood seal is. Once at idle it is fine but just seems like it shouldn't get up that high. Any insight would be great. Maybe I'm crazy but just was under the impression that should sit a bit higher.
Boat in question
31673_401445599066_506839066_4332837_5125387_n.jpg

uncljohn

Reaction score
on mine the water is just below the bottom of the scupper. I know people experience scuppers below water line when they put 4-strokes on Gradys.

And when I come off plane, i get splash up the back of the cowling. You do want to be careful so you don't suck it up in the air intake, but in general that happens, just need to bring her off plane a little easier.

uncljohn

Reaction score
and I dont have a hardtop, which is another 300# or so...maybe more.

drumike102

Reaction score
ya im talking my scuppers are completely underwater by probably 3/4 of an inch.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looks like you posted this question on both forums, thought I was loosing it !

3rd Day

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The scuppers on my Gulfstream are underwater but drain just fine because the floor is high enough to get rid the water. Also keep in mind that Gradys are a heavy boat and appear to set low in the water. Here's an idea, move the bottom paint line higher and it will look like it's floating higher. :)

dan313

Reaction score
My 01 228 did the same thing as yours. I never had an issue with it.

I hope this helps ease your mind....

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I see your GW has a bracket,could the bracket have water in it? the other thing is i would be damn sure with a 1989 boat that if the scuppers were under water that the hoses attached to those scuppers in the bilge were at this point either new or replaced! And, are your scupper fittings white plastic? If so, think about replacing those too!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with ChrisA
I don't see why a Seafarer with a 2-stroke 200 would sit low enough to submerge the scuppers. Yes, they will still drain the deck properly while underwater,as my Gulfstream does, but that's not the issue here. WHY are they under?
Could there be soaked stringers or as Chris says, a bracket with water in it? The boat is an 89. I think it's leaked somewhere.

drummike..Does this mean your a drummer? Me too..Fun gig but it doesn't pay enough to buy Gradys.

DB

Reaction score
Sound like the boat is water logged...it's over 20 years old...it's retaining water somewhere...the scuppers should NOT be under water...The water should NOT be that close to the seal on the Cowl...something is wrong.

rml2112

Reaction score
My 2000 228 the scuppers are out of the water at the dock. As someone suggested the grady bracket might be full of water. There is a plastic drain plug on the bottom. Also a 20 year old boat might have the transom waterlogged.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would recommend that you check a few areas. First, be sure that your bilge pump is working, and that the bilge is not holding a bunch of water. Next, check that bracket and be sure that it is not holding water. If those are in order, then I would check the integrity of the transom core, because if wood is deteriorated, it can hold a lot of water inside the core also.
As far as I know, those scuppers were not designed to be constantly under the waterline, so there is some extra weight somewhere making boat sit lower in the water.
Be aware of this though. Many, many boats do have their scuppers under the waterline with no adverse effects. I have a Seafarer that I installed twins on, that although scuppers are not under water line, they are extremely close to it. Many people chaged 2strokes to 4strokes and their scuppers are submerged most of the time. Main thing is to be sure that scuppers/hoses/connections/hardware are properly sealed and in perfect condition. Otherwise you could have a serious problem some day. Just my opinion, Mike.

Bryansvo

Reaction score
My 88 overnighter had the same issue with the scuppers (half submerged). I checked the backet and it had some water in there. Drained it and had no poblems after that, unless someone and gear are in the back of the boat. Also, I had the same issue with water splashing the cowl when coming off plane. I have a Suzuki DT200 so the weight is probably pretty close. I remedied this using my engine trim and trim tabs while slowing down. I don't think you have major problems but I would check the grady bracket as well as some of the other items members have posted.

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
Better make sure the fuel tank compartments are not full of water. There is a plug that keeps fuel from getting into the bilge. If you have water leaking into those compartments it will just stay there. We are talking about alot of water too....possibly 200 gallons or more if you lack the reserve tank. That could literally be a ton of water.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Got Grady? said:
Better make sure the fuel tank compartments are not full of water. There is a plug that keeps fuel from getting into the bilge. If you have water leaking into those compartments it will just stay there. We are talking about alot of water too....possibly 200 gallons or more if you lack the reserve tank. That could literally be a ton of water.

That is a very good idea, and may very well be what his problem is.