Seastar hydraulic steering - Fisherman 180

OCMike

Reaction score
I am in the process of upgrading the steering system on my Fisherman 180. It had a NFB cable steer from the factory but I want to install an Autopilot so I am installing Seastar PRO hydraulic steering. The catch is that the splashwell is too tight to insert the new bar in to the tilt tube. I got the old cable out(Lots of cutting) but I can't see a way to put in the new pivot tube bar. I have seen various ideas out the from other boats that range from cutting a hole in the splash well, unbolting and sliding the engine over or hoisting the engine up.

All of these options seem a little intimidating. Can anyone suggest the best procedure to get the bar in to the tilt tube?
Thanks
Mike

seasick

Reaction score
I've seen situations where the motor had to be moved over. Basically that is the same as hoisting the motor, you just hoist it up an inch or two.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the side wall of your splashwell will allow it, you could just install a 4 inch inspection plate so that you can slide the shaft out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you have a Harbor freight near you, a one ton motor lift is often on sale for $100. reg $169 which is still dirt cheap.

Not sure I'd want a HF lift holding my engine up too long. Usually one use tools for weekend warriors.... Just sayn,

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Not sure I'd want a HF lift holding my engine up too long. Usually one use tools for weekend warriors.... Just sayn,
exactly. Cheap enough to own for the handful of times you need to lift a motor. Gives you the option to lift it instead of wondering how you're gonna cut a hole in your boat so you can install steering.
I got $100 worth out of it the first time I used it. Used to have to borrow one from my brother in law, put it on a trailer, hear complaints about "are you done with it yet?"....hump it onto a trailer again...
Don't get me wrong, I think most HB stuff is crap...but its cheap crap instead of expensive crap.