Seat Pedestal Attachment

wlewis

Reaction score
What's the best backing plate material? Whaler uses a material "phenolic" for backing under the deck for cleats, behind swim platforms, etc. If that material is available, I would think it would work well. I suspect there is a generic term for that product. Anyone know what it might be called?

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are going to cut a hole in the floor forget the togglers. Though bolt it and be done. The togglers are used to bypass the access hole.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Stainless would be the best material, it's to easy to strip the threads in phenolic. Don't try to use nuts and washers you'll drive yourself nuts, go with 2 half moon flanges with tapped holes. Make a nice thick epoxy paste to glue the flange to the underside of the deck (use short bolts to hold it in place until the epoxy cures). If the foam goes to the underside of the deck some can be dug out, just seal the foam after digging.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just be sure there isn't a sringer or bulkhead where you want the seat, Grady should be able to send you some drawings.

DuaneLucas

Reaction score
Grady_Crazy said:
I used these on an old Welcraft to secure the seat to the floor. Worked Great, Very Very sturdy. Get the stainless model.
togglers from http://www.fastenal.com

toggler.jpg

Ideal for installations near water or moisture and for high-strength applications
Important for hospitals, restaurants and food service, nuclear power plants, etc.
Great for installing HVAC equipment, solar panels, marine equipment, communications equipment, electrical equipment, lighting fixtures, fans, pedestal seats on boats (ABYC-tested) and more
Looks like awesome device and thanks for sharing such useful information.. I would love to get it very soon

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Interesting, my old boat, I installed the pedestal in the floor with #12 SS Sheet metal screws. Largest I could find. The floor was carpet covered, thin layer of glass and 1/2" ply. I beat this boat in seas for years and never did the seat pedestal come loose. When I removed the base to put in new carpet, the screws were extremely tight.
My point here is that it seems to me, the spread of the pedestal base and all the screws working together, you should not have an issue in tearout unless you hit a 10' wave and a 250# guy falls on it sideways? :mrgreen:

Just sayin'........