SeaTow or TowBoat?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have been a member of SeaTow for ten years. Thankfully, I've never had to use their services but have always had "piece of mind" knowing they were a call away if needed.

Last year I noticed the absence of the Yellow boats in my area. Cape Ann, Salem Harbor Etc. I have however seen the Red boats of TowBoat periodically in and around Gloucester Harbor.

Is SeaTow cutting back because of the economy?

Is TowBoat a better choice for my area?

Who do you use and what area are you in?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
they may have been reacting to fuel costs. my friend's young son is a seatow captain and the franchisee used to let him zip around and fish while waiting for calls. last year they stayed off the water unless responding to a call.

i have both coverages for the last seven years. there's never any guarantee that they will be available when you need them (responding to another call) so i wanted to increase my odds. ron

Tommyboy

Reaction score
We have a Seatow boat on our dock ... Billy (sea tow capitan) in previous years would go 'trolling' for business on busy weekends ... but since the cost of fuel was so high last season he sat and waited for calls or monitored the VHF for 'distress calls' .... ... In my area we have both SeaTow and TowBoat US ..but SeaTow is the choice of most of the people I know .... for the price you can't beat em.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am also looking to a tow service but am looking for anyone who could recommend the best for my area one, I usuall have another boat to call in radio distance. But want the best one for the offshore LBI and Sandy Hook area.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tommyboy- I though TowBoat also has the unlimted deal, like Sea Tow has.

What makes Sea Tow the better $$ deal?

Tommyboy

Reaction score
Bob ... Honestly I don't know what TowBoat US even charges //// I guess most people I know chose SeaTow because they have such a big presence in Wildwood / Cape May area ... their boats are everywhere you look .....and for the price your a fool not to sign up .....

Tom

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't think there is much difference. Go with the one that has a greater presence in the area(s) you boat in.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
TowBoat vs SeaTow

Suggest you call BoatU.S. and ask them what kind of coverage they have in your area. BoatU.S. is tied in with TowBoat, if they don't own the name out right. I have a high regard for TowBoat, they came out for me on a Sat. night in the dark, a 1 1/2 hour trip each way for them. WX forecasts were calling for 15-20 KT winds in the Chesapeake Tangier Sound, they still got the job done.

izzy

Reaction score
sfc2113 said:
I am also looking to a tow service but am looking for anyone who could recommend the best for my area one, I usuall have another boat to call in radio distance. But want the best one for the offshore LBI and Sandy Hook area.

I fish your area and would recommend Towboat BoatUS. Have used them.......quick to respond and professional

By the way..this edition of Northeast boating mentioned Towboat Manasquan tower for superior service best in region....FYI