SeaV2 Hull Construction. WOOD or NO WOOD since...??

Fever

Reaction score
Hi all-

The Grady White website does an excellent job illustrating their current hull construction. Fully encapsulated stringers and transom. Gusset reinforcement at the transom. NO WOOD. All hand layed.

Quick question. How many years back on the SeaV2 Hull can I count on this construction? In other words, did they start this NO WOOD construction back in 1993 (I think) when they brought out the SeaV2? If not, when did they start with NO WOOD.

After dealing with rot in my prior boat (TWICE) i am all in favor of NO WOOD.

Thanks,

Mike

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NO WOOD is very recent, like in the last year or two.

But - since about '99 or 2000 they used fully encapsulated wood with a lifetime guarantee from Greenwood. I wouldn't shy away from a boat of that vintage.

The early 90s was when the hulls were converted to the Sea V2 design. The last one to convert was the 192 - in 1994.

Fever

Reaction score
Thank you for the info!

How do I get a peek at the wood under the deck and in the transom?

I just disposed of a 1990 Bluewater Cuddy with glass reinforced wood stringers. The wood forward of the engine compartment was fine after 25 years. Glass was run up the sides of the wood, but left the top 1" or so exposed. Under the deck, fine. But the aft three feet where water/moisture could reach were full of potting soil. If I can see the stringers, I can check the condition of the wood.

And... Other than storing in a heated garage, how does one keep that wood dry and not molding/rotting?

Mike

Fever

Reaction score
Bump. Still curious how to get a peek at the stringers on a 1998 model to see the condition before buying.

Thanks,

Mike