Seco South???

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Has anyone done business with them? Specifically, I want to order new anchor rode and this seems to be the only place that i can custom order what I want for chain and rope length. Any other suggestions if you ordered somewhere else? Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I work part time at a marina and I splice rope. I'm not saying that to order it from me - we don't do a lot of these sales so we don't get big volume discounts from our suppliers. Plus, the shipping wouldn't be cheap. But, I mention this because I would imagine there are some local marinas (with stores) that might be able to do this for you, too. You might spend a bit more, but you're also supporting local business, which is always a good thing. However, another place (that is setup for easy shipping) that's up your way (in ME) is Hamilton Marine. They've got knowledgeable people working there and their stores are well stocked. I think you just need to find a more "local" type company and get away from the big chains. Although I thought West Marine used to do splicing?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Dennis. Yeah, I always try and use local when I can, even if it means a couple more dollars. For all things, not just my boating needs. I even hate to see big box stores run out the little guy. I still frequent a small hardware store in my town. You remember the store where the uneven wooden floor creeks as you walk on it?

Years ago I taught myself how to splice 3 strand. Anchor, back and loop splices. Pretty good at it. All my odd lines, like my rod safety lines, on my boat are home spliced. I'm looking to replace my 8 plait anchor rope. That's a different animal. I've asked around and haven't come up with a name. Any place around here sells "off the shelf" set-ups with less than the amount of chain and line I want.

This last season (my first with my new to me Marlin) we were having issues with hauling in the anchor using the windlass. Every couple of feet, the rope would slip in the gypsy. Long story short, after trying several things to remedy the problem, I cut a foot off the back end of the line and took it to West Marine and it turned out to be 9/16" 8 plait. Lewmar specs call for 1/2". Doesn't sound like much but the extra diameter seems to be preventing the gypsy from getting a good bite on the line.

My plan is to replace my rode with the proper sized line and use what's on there now when I anchor off shore fishing for tuna. I'll retrieve it with a ball.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
8-plait... that cuts down your possibilities for purchase, for sure! I haven't done 8-plait, either - whole different animal! Good rope, though. I wonder if a company like New England Ropes has a splicing guide for 8-plait (I think it's also sometimes referred to as Mega Plait?). I know they have one for 3-strand.

Does Lewmar sell it in custom lengths? Or, what about just replacing the gypsy to match your rope? With some windlasses, you can do that. Or maybe just go with 3-strand and keep things easy?

You mentioned you did a couple things... did you try washing it and soaking in fabric softener, too? If it's more flexible, it might just work.

I love my 'mom-n-pop' hardware store!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
New England Ropes does have a splicing guide for 8 plait. I have it and will use it to teach myself how to splice it. We'll see how that goes. As this will now be my tuna anchor, I intend to add a thimble on the end to attach the mooring ball and, if needed, add more line if I'm fishing in deeper water.

I have looked through Lewmar's web site and no luck on the gypsy. I have the V700.

I like the plaited line and have used it on my last 2 boats. Three strand would work, but I think plait piles better and stays softer if you know what I mean.

You're right about the fabric softener. I have made it a habit to wash and soak all my lines in fabric softener every year. Good maintenance. Dock lines, rod lines, anchor line all go into a wheel barrow for a good soak every fall.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have personally purchased two rodes from Seco South, and a few friends have as well based on my recommendation.

I can splice most anything, including proper chain splices, but it just wasn't worth it to buy all the bits myself. Most recent was 600-ft of 1/2" 8-plait spliced to 30-ft of 1/4" chain. All works in the windlass with no problem. Can easily get 600-ft of 8-plait rode and chain in the locker, when I had to struggle with 300-ft of 1/2" 3-strand.

Brian

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
journeyman said:
I have looked through Lewmar's web site and no luck on the gypsy. I have the V700.

Three strand would work, but I think plait piles better and stays softer if you know what I mean.

You're correct - no other gypsy for the V700. It's one of their "entry level" windlasses. I actually installed one of those on one of my other boats (a 26' Sea Ray) as the boat never had one to begin with. But that boat's anchor locker is a full 36" deep and 36" wide, across the aft end. PLENTY of room so 3-strand was just fine there. But, yeah, the 8-plait does fall/pile MUCH better.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ocnslr said:
I have personally purchased two rodes from Seco South, and a few friends have as well based on my recommendation.

Good to hear Brian, Thanks.