Seeking Advise on 1989 Marlin 30

Seadrifter

Reaction score
I am considering purchase of a 1989 GW Marlin 30 with 2004 Yamaha 250s with about 240hrs on engine. Price is 30K. Getting a survey at this time. Boat main use was off Florida for scuba dive. Has basic electronics however no radar. Has fish finder, GPS and autopilot. Is this a good price for age of boat and 2stroke engines? Price is within our budget and like the cabin for kids. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure this heps or not, but this is a start:
As far as I know Yamaha only make the 250 in HPDI in 2004. I have not heard good things about this specific model of engine.

I urge you to have the boat professionally surveyed, yes it will cost you some money, but it could end up saving you thousands in the long run.

240 hours is exceptionally low for a six year old motor on a boat that was used regularly. For example I average almost 200 hours a year on my boat here in NJ. I would suspect in Florida the hours to be much higher.

The price can be compared on many internet websites. Buc Network used to be pretty good last time I checked (about three years ago).

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In '89 it was a 28. The basic hull hasn't really changed since then just the running surface was extended to under the euro transom later on. If they are 250 HPDI's, personally I'd pass or offer less money. Those motors have had many problems over the years and the last thing you need is to have a motor go bad on a boat you just bought. If they're OX-66's and they check out OK you'll get many hours of enjoyment out of them (but they're thirsty).