Seeking Advise on Grady White Boat

Seadrifter

Reaction score
Greetings to ALL. I am new to the forum and I hope to get some advise from you all. I am not yet a GradyWhite owner however I am considering purchasing a Grady White Marlin either the 282 or 300. I would like some advise on the pro and cons of each Grady Marlin (282 or 300) and its advantages. I currently owns an Angler 2400 CC and I love deep sea fishing. I am looking to upgrade to a bigger rig with a cuddy for overnight fishing.
Thanks for all your help.
Pete

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the board!!!

Myself and a few others I know here have owned both models. They are excellent boats and either will serve you well. Bigger is better however so there are some clear advantages to the 300. It really depends on the boat you can find, how it is equipped, engines, rigging, condition, age, etc.

The only real advantage of the smaller boat is cost and fuel (given same engine technology). BTW: The 300 is the Marlin while the 282 is a Sailfish.

For pros and cons it is simple (all other factors mentioned above aside).

the 300:
o weights 3500 - 4000 more fully loaded (depends on year and options)
o rides better
o larger cabin
o larger cockpit
o more amenities
o genset option
o more helm area

the 282:
o is easier to trailer
o lighter
o burns less fuel

The same comparison would be valid between the 300 and the 330. If you are looking at used I would determine your price, find all the candidates, compare using the criteria above. A few tips:

o 4 strokes are a big plus and have higher resale
o the 282 has great improvements in 2005
o the 300 has great improvements in 2004

Feel free to post any questions about either model here as there are many owners of both. It all comes down to your budget. I'd have a GW360 if finances allowed. :D

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'll give you a few ideas.
The 30' Marlin has a longer running surface, supposed to help the ride of the boat (I believe it does help).
The 28 is lighter and needs slightly less power to achieve the same speed.
Since the 1989 Marlin Grady has made improvements every single year (to make the new models sell and to actually improve the boat). Some examples are taller windshield, better thru hulls, better helm station, etc.

I realize I am just scratching the surface. I urge you to start by visiting the Grady website and going over all of the previous brochures. Then, if you are still interested, go and see at least three models preferably at least five years apart. You will see the subtle differences immediately. You will notice significant changes about every five years.

Ask away and well try to help out. By the way welcome to the site.

freddy063

Reaction score
Welcome, I have a 272 sailfish, love it, thats all I know. Both would be a nice boat.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
I have had a 1992 252 and now own a 2005 282. I regularly fish on a 2004 300, a 2003 300, and a 2002 282. The waters we fish are are the NW Pacific out of Oregon, with consistent swell and wind chop.

As mentioned, there are pros and cons on both boats, and it really depends on how you plan to use it.

The 300 is bigger, and the difference in the beam is noticeable in the cabin, with extra space also in the cockpit, but not so much more that it is pronounced in my opinion. The 300 below deck feels MUCH more spacious.

The size difference in the helm area of the 300 vs the 282 is significant that 3 people can comfortably be up in the helm vicinity.

The 300 busts through bigger chop better simply due to displacement if nothing else.

Downside of the 300- If you fish, and I mean TRULY fish, with 4-5 people, the Marlin, even with the larger size is not laid out as well as the 282. Two big misses on the 300 are right behind the helm seat. The storage center on the 300 eliminates the fish box that is on the 282, reducing on board fish capacity In addition, it is so high that it is totally impractical for anyone to ride offshore there as your legs cannot reach the deck. On the port side the livewell box is unfortunately more elevated than on the 282, and with the companion seat in the helm area, you cannot recline comfortably. (If you have the companion seat on the 282, it also interferes) So- for practical fishing applications, the 300 is simply not set up as well as the 282. The 305 Express has the best helm and seating arrangement of any of them, but unfortunately completely eliminates any stern facing seating, and with no walk around is out of the question for bow fishing functionality.

Downsides fo the 282- Tighter helm, cabin that is functional, but smaller, rear berth is much smaller, no gen option, not as good of a ride.

Powerplants make a difference. All of the 282's and 300's I have been on have been using the F225's. Most are running 17" with a buddy that has a 282 running 19's. My 282 will turn 6000 RPM with half load at WOT. It cruises currently at just under 2mpg at 4000 rpm. My buddy with the 19's only gets to 5500, but does a solid 2mpg. Real world rough water running but at cruise speed he sees 1.7mpg or so. The Marlins turning 17's will not get over 5400rpm in real world, and both are coming in at around 1.25 mpg. One Marlin is being repowered with 250's as we speak, and another is waiting until the end of this season to get the new 300's.

All of the 300's that I am around have trailers and their owners will tow them if needed. One guy- Hoghunter on the board here, tows his all over the NW and shows that it truly can be considered a trailer boat with the right trailer, tow rig, and knowledge of towing. But reality is that most people don't enjoy towing a 10' 6" beam boat around that much.

The 282 being 9'6" beam is very comfortable to tow with a Heavy 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I have no issue towing the 282 anywhere, but I do primarily keep it moored. One of the other 282's is strictly a trailer boat, and he tows it all over the NW, even just over to the coast and back for a day trip.

If you want to go overnight, the Honda 2000 portable generator is the model of choice for the 282.

2004+ on the 300 or 2005+ on the 282 for "current" stylings. Both of these have the drop down stern seat and stern fish box, which is a great addition.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sailfish vs Marlin

I have owned both boats new, 2000 Sailfish, 2007 Marlin. The Sailfish was a great fishing boat but it was not comfortable more for than one night on over nighters. My wife and I bumped into each other in the V berth and the under berth was too small for me, and the wife did not like it either. So we got foot itus....the Marlin is much more comfortable down stairs and we can both sleep either in the V berth or the under berth comfortably. The Marlin is also a much better fishing machine. It takes much more sea with ease and is much better equipped. I have 24 Foot Lee outriggers and just added a center rigger to it.
Concur with the comments on ride, Marlin is much smoother, it is heavier. I have twin F250 4 stokes on the Marlin and I get the same gas milage at 25 knots as I did with the Sailfish with twin 200 2 strokes. Pretty good trade up for me. I am sold on Grady's, this is our third one (started out with a 22 Seafarer). You can't beat the long term reliability, or resale value.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Interesting grip, I have the same progressions of GW boats. The 300 will most likely be as large as I go since the next size up would require a wet slip at another marina. I really like where I am so I doubt I would go that route. I am still adding to my Marlin so I will probably keep it for at least 10 years (3.5 more).

Eventually I will get another Marlin to take advantage of some new features and technology.

o 300 yammie 6s
o electronic engine controls
o helm a/c
o new Navnet
o remote control a/p
o closed cooling for genset
o LED lighting
o any other new innovations

PS: I sent pix of the center rigger.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
300 Marlin

Megabites, thanks for the pictures of your center rigger plan. I have added to mine also, mostly changes that I recommended to Grady White. I changed how my outriggers come down to get under a bridge, I modified them to pivot down and pin them to the hard top to get under the Bonefish Bridge. I changed the bait station to an ice box....was too hard to go below to get beer. Then I added a spring latch to the port compartment so it does not open more than 90 degrees so it does not over open and break the hinges. If and when I figure out how to post pictures I will post the changes I made to my boat.
As far as Nav I have a Garmin 4212 with sounder and radar and love it. I like being able to download updates from the internet and loading the new updates to the Garmin. Great bottom machine also. The Marlin is most likely my last boat. It is about all my lift can pick up and I am not interested in bottom painting or leaving the boat in the water. Far too much maintenance. My setup is easy to do maintenance and keeps the boat out of the water.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome! The Marlin is a great boat. After 6.5 years I still get excited every time they put it in the water. I cannot wait to see my new lights at night. :D

I'm with you an in water boats - another level of maintenance and cost.
It took me several years to figure out the center rigger. My main fishing buddy complained about reaching it when it was attached to the hardtop support so I was determined one day to move it all around until I found a solution. I am glad my answer can help others. It really works well. Using the original hook makes a nice place to stow it out of the way.

What year is your 300?

ahill

Reaction score
The Marlin is longer & wider than the Sailfish ( I have a Sailfish) and provides much more room in the cabin and most important at the helm between helm & companion chairs.

Grady678

Reaction score
Seadrifter, All great posts above. For myself, I purchased the Marlin for it's cabin size. Crazy reason but I overnight 30 nights a year and found it large enough for a family of 3. 30 nights X hotel rate = maybe not so crazy. Good luck on your decision!