Seeking bracket photos (inside and detached)

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Does anyone have pictures of the inside of your brackets – either through camera or detached from transom?

I have ’97 Gulfstream 232, with twin F150 Yamahas. Pulled boat for engine service today and checked the bracket since it had been sitting lower than normal Bingo! Filled to the brim with 50 gallons of water. Before i siphoned the water out, I took time to watch water existing the bracket. Water mostly stream down the sides of the bracket where it attached to the transom. Appears that the adhesives have given out.

I’d love to know the design of the bracket to understand if it’s leaking at a structural point, or if it’s just a weak point in the caulking. I also have a swim step covering the full transom, so I have no idea what the bracket looks like under the swim step. So photo of topside of bracket would be helpful too. I’ve heard some brackets have additional inspection plates on that portion of the bracket as well. I’m 3rd owner of this boat, but I’m fairly confident the bracket is original OEM model (paperwork from previous owner suggests this is Gil bracket).

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Isn't there a plug on the bottom for draining, like an oil pan? I have wondered about my 2000 Seafarer bracket, as well, whether it is metal on the transom end, or just caulked to the transom?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Brackets are hollow on the frontside - at least all of the ones I've ever seen. Yes, they typically have an inspection port on the topside which could be hidden by your platform. You might consider adding a slightly larger inspection port on the platform. However, as mentioned, remove the drain plug and use your inspection camera to take a look inside - that way you can see exactly what's going on inside YOUR bracket and not someone else's.

But... sounds like your bracket may need to be resealed - you also need to verify core integrity (possible water intrusion through bolts). It's possible there's a secondary leak (inspection plate/drain plug), but it's quite obvious the seal against the transom is bad. Hopefully someone used plenty of quality sealant around the bolts... which means there's at least no core issues. And, HOPEFULLY, someone didn't use 3M5200 to seal things or you're in for a real bear of a treat trying to get it off!

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Isn't there a plug on the bottom for draining, like an oil pan? I have wondered about my 2000 Seafarer bracket, as well, whether it is metal on the transom end, or just caulked to the transom?
This was the only drain plug. About two inches across. I didn't have tools at ramp to open it, so I just siphoned the water out. But honestly not sure I would have had the courage to start cranking on that. It looks pretty well set in and I'm not 100% sure it's even threaded. If others are familiar with this style, I'm all ears.

Attachments

• 20220221_111349.jpg
    20220221_111349.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

CharlieBeard

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Brackets are hollow on the frontside - at least all of the ones I've ever seen. Yes, they typically have an inspection port on the topside which could be hidden by your platform. You might consider adding a slightly larger inspection port on the platform. However, as mentioned, remove the drain plug and use your inspection camera to take a look inside - that way you can see exactly what's going on inside YOUR bracket and not someone else's.

But... sounds like your bracket may need to be resealed - you also need to verify core integrity (possible water intrusion through bolts). It's possible there's a secondary leak (inspection plate/drain plug), but it's quite obvious the seal against the transom is bad. Hopefully someone used plenty of quality sealant around the bolts... which means there's at least no core issues. And, HOPEFULLY, someone didn't use 3M5200 to seal things or you're in for a real bear of a treat trying to get it off!
I've ordered inspection camera, so that is great recommendation. I believe the previous owner used 5200 below waterline. So sounds like I'm in for a rodeo. I'll do search online later to see. If there are any helpful hints.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Disregard my comment about the inspection plate - your initial post said you were curious about inspection plates but also that you siphoned water out. Which means you must have an inspection plate somewhere - which you can more easily look inside than the drain plug? But, yes, that drain plug is threaded.... just caked up a bit with years of bottom paint is all.

A heat gun can help soften the 5200... strong fishing line can be used - you can sort of "pull" it into the perimeter crack between the bracket and hull. Multiple wedges being hammered in, as well, a little bit at time (evenly).

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I've ordered inspection camera, so that is great recommendation. I believe the previous owner used 5200 below waterline. So sounds like I'm in for a rodeo. I'll do search online later to see. If there are any helpful hints.
5200 should go back on when its reapplied as well. I had a struggle with mine, but it ended up being 2 bolts hidden by the live well :( 5200 wasn't all the hard to remove with some wedges cut from 2x4, fishing braid and some debond. The bad part is if one of the bolts get stripped in the bracket. I'm not a fan of how the bolts are part of the bracket.