Selection of Anchor/Rode for Gulfstream

jrem

Reaction score
Was hoping I might get some suggestions or thoughts on selection of an anchor and rode for a Gulfstream which will mostly be spending time in the Great South Bay of Long Island.

Any thoughts?

Much thanks!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, a quick look at chart 12352 seems to show a variety of bottoms in GSB, including mud, sand and grass.

No one anchor is "best" for all bottoms. Danforth style anchors are good in mud and sand, due to lots of fluke area, but can skip across grass instead of digging in. Plow anchors are better at digging through grass, but can drag in soft mud.

Regardless of the style of anchor, I would recommend getting the next size up from whatever is recommended for your boat.

The shallow depths of GSB wouldn't require much rode, but I would always recommend getting the most that will comfortably fit inside the anchor locker. That will depend on the diameter of the line, and the type of line - you can get twice as much 8-plait as you can 3-strand, of the same diameter.

Chain recommendations can vary a lot, but the best rule of thumb is chain length equal to boat length. If you are almost always anchoring in shallow water, then you can likely get by with 15-feet.

Bow-1.jpg

Bow-2.jpg

The comments above are JMHO, but they are based on over 50yrs of boating, starting in Little Neck Bay in the late '50s.

Brian
Commander, USN (Ret)
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor or Sail, 1600-Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited.

To put it all together - I would recommend at least 200-feet of 1/2" 3-strand nylon, or 300-feet if you go with the 8-plait. (Yes, more than you need for GSB, but nice to have off the south shore, or up in LI Sound).

For chain - at least 15-feet of good quality 1/4" galvanized chain. More is better.

For the anchor selection, here is some good info: http://www.anchoring.com/article_info.php?articles_id=4.

If you go for the "danforth-style", then get the Danforth. Always been better than the knockoffs. I strongly recommend the "H" series, instead of the "Standard" anchors.

So, what do we have on our Islander 270? A 22# Delta Quickset, with 30-feet of 1/4" chain and 600-feet of 1/2" diameter 8-plait . That's for the main anchor and rode. The "back-up" anchor is a Danforth 12H, kept in a bracket on the bow. The rode for it is stored under the port side of the V-berth, and is 200-ft of 1/2" 3-strand and 10-ft of 1/4" chain, with a shackle all ready to bend to the anchor.

Steds83

Reaction score
I just replaced anchor and rode on my 265 Express. After some research I went with the Manson Supreme (25lbs – you can likely go with the 15lbs) and the AnchorLift Rode package (250’ ½ rope and 15’ ¼ chain). So far I’ve been very happy with the setup.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Lenght is good as long as you don't intend to find yourself in Sound or Ocean during tough conditions.

lgusto

Reaction score
All the science and practical experience I'll ever need to know about anchoring was in "The Complete Anchoring Handbook" by Alain Poiraud. Many factors go into staying put on any bottom in any weather, including seabed characteristics, wind, waves, currents, etc. and this book covers them all in amazing detail. One of the most important details is that the anchor is just the "hook" that keeps your chain from sliding across the bottom, so weight is not the most important factor. It's more important to choose the type of anchor that will hook in to the seabed you most frequently encounter.

The book also explains that simple overkill isn't the right answer (why not 50' of 5/8" chain? why not 100'?) because there's a cost to everything. For example, what will unnecessarily hauling 150 pounds of chain do to your windlass over time? And reducing line in favor of chain reduces shock absorption and catenary, properties that are critical to protecting a boat's pulpit and hardware.

We carry 600' of 3/8" Brait spliced to 20' of 1/2" chain shackled to a 13 pound danforth. We sometimes overnight in 200' of water, occasionally with winds up to 20 knots. We also carry a 7 pound Fortress with 200' of 1/2" three strand and 10' of chain as an emergency backup. We're always learning and improving our techniques, often just for "fun" and for practice.