Sell it or Keep it?

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I posted this on THT too, but I figured there are ALOT less agenda driven people here than THT. I start thinking about all the different boats Ive owned in the past, and the one thing that keeps coming back to me is how impressive the Grady has been over all others in respect to build quality/construction and potential for longevity. Sure, Id love a 305 Express or heck, might as well shoot for a 330, but Im also real enough to know that my budget, lifestyle, age and living situation (I live in NE Georgia) is not at all conducive to a new boat, much less a BIGGER one. Thoughts from Grady owners are welcome and requested.

My boat has been sitting for over a year now, let go of the motors last year in May with hopes of a spring repower......but between a job change and the addition of our 2nd child, its just been put way down on the priority list.

So the thought starts running through my head.....keep it or sell it?

The good:

- I went and bought the truck Ive always wanted to aid in towing such a big boat.
- Ive installed all new electronics, outriggers, renewed systems and got the boat upgraded since I got it in 2011, ie its where I want it (more or less) minus the engines......kinda important though!!
- Its not really costing me alot as it sits, no storage fees at home, its well protected with covering, insurance on it is not bad, there is a loan, but its small, low payment and other than the mental pain of paying and not using, its not hurting me.

The Bad:

- The longer it sits, the more "re" re-newing its gonna need to get back up to par, (i clean it regularly, but that only goes so far).
- Even though the trailer is new in 2011, the calipers finally gave out and cir-come to "lot lock" from not being used, all 6 are seized up, not a major fix, but still a sign of things to come.

Overall, I absolutely love the boat, big enough to go offshore, I can take it to the lake or coast, tons of room, best layout I have been on in that size boat, but to be even more honest with myself, I see it sitting another year, the time I will have with 2 young kids and the money it will take to put on the engines I want (vs just the ones I can get to "get back on the water") just doesn't seem practical within a years time.

So do I let it go, regardless of of how much Ive "done" & like it to fit future needs? Or do I continue to put it away, knowing that when the time comes, I'll have the boat I like, waiting on me to bring back to life??

Thanks for any suggestions or input, sometimes its just better to have an outside view on these things.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What boat do you have?

In general, you will take a bath trying to sell an older hull without power, regardless of the upgrades you may have added. Without engines, folks are going to look at your boat as a salvage project and will only pay accordingly.

The important question is -- How sound is the hull and transom?

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Guess type of boat helps.....

Its a 2001 265 Express

No transom issues, only thing standing between it being 100% offshore ready is complete motor assembly & $81.00 per axle caliper rebuild kit for the brakes (given they are stuck in the "open" position) I towed it last week.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ultimately your call. but given the facts you laid out, it sounds as though it's not really an issue for you to sit on it another year or two.

the new four strokes would probably be awesome on that hull. another year or two of others testing them out benefits you. and engines can be financed.

as long as the hull is sound, not sure how much more "renewing" you will come up against that couldn't be spread over time.

if it's not really costing anything to sit there now, just ask yourself how much it will cost to replace it later on (same relative condition) and would you be ready to spend that money.

it also provides a low stress project for a while. a little compounding here and there and it will look showroom fresh by the time you splash it.

good luck, ron

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
OK. Here is my $0.02
If your situation is anything like mine, you can kiss boating good by for a year or two at least (2 kids 2 years apart).
That said, if the boat is costing you little or nothing, and it suits you well, mothball it and keep it. The boat is already 12 years old. In the grand scheme of things, who cares if it gets a couple years older. It's not like our boats are trendy go-fast or ski boats that look dated in 5 years because of some gaudy graphics. With the boat market improving you might be able to use that time to score some nice engines to get you where you want to be. By then the little ones will be ready to participate too.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
New motors aren't going to get cheaper but... are you against used motors?

Salinity Now

Reaction score
I appreciate the insight, seems to be a fair split on sell or keep.

I certainly am not against used motors, infact I keep my eyes out for late model pairs all the time, seem to focusing on Suzuki 250's for their lighter weight and overall lower costs compared to Yamahas.

As for getting another smaller boat.....Ive fought against that idea, b/c I know its not what I want long term, I figure why spend 10-15k on a cheaper CC or even a true freshwater boat (seeing how thats where I would use it the most) when what I could spend the same kind of money on a decent set of used outboards and be able to use my boat at the lake for family fun and still tow to the coast for saltwater when time permits.

Time is certainly my biggest concern.......a 3-1/2 year old and a 8month old......Ive learned that even with my recent job change from being gone for months on end (working for the Navy) to being gone for 21 days at a time (but with 21 days off). I still dont see my self reasonably being able to go fishing at the coast near as much as I did in the past (being stationed in Norfolk/Virginia Beach on the ship). So thats kinda my biggest kicker, I know I wont use it for atleast another year or so, engines or not on any reasonable basis.

But I do like the idea of tinkering with it, changing out some fuel lines, converting to LED's in the cabin, maybe add underwater lights etc, re-wire dash and clean up some wire rats nests....clean the hull up, use it as my project boat for the short time I have in between preschool and diaper changes with hopes of finding that "perfect pair" of late model low hour used motors that wont set me back another 40k, but will get me on the water safely and for a long time on a boat that I know is sea worthy regardless of short notice or planned trips.

Plus.....I just love this boat!!!

Thanks for the opinions.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It would not be a tough call for me at all. I would keep the boat. I think every guy wants and needs a project for sanity purposes. Especially with small kids. There will be times when the best thing you can do is to grab a beer, go out in the yard, pull the cover back and just think about the boat, trips, fishing, projects, etc. To me it is alot cheaper than a sports car, girlfriend, or therapy.

Secondly, you look like you will be in position to enjoy some great trips with the boat with 21 days off. You have the truck to pull it so take it places.

Third, family time on the boat is something we all enjoy too. Before you know it, they will be asking to go with you every trip. That is the big pay-off.

So I would take advantage of the time you have now to finish the small things and projects and get her ready for engines. Start looking for a good set of used engines. Put them on the boat and get back out on the water. Switching power is no big deal right? So maybe in 3 to 4 years you switch again and get the new engines.

Also as a side note, not sure where you ended up in NE Georgia, but after you get engines I would seriously look at a marina or storage yard on either Lanier or Hartwell as your base of operation. You need a place to store either in the water or that they will launch for you. I think with a family you will see you use pattern change to more quick trips of an hour or two. Much easier to just grab the keys and head for a boat waiting in the water.

Good luck and hope to see you on Lanier soon!