Sell me on a Marlin vs 305 Express

MA208

Reaction score
I really wanted an Express because I have a wife and 2 kids. I thought seating all of us under the hard top and out of the wind and elements would be ideal. Same hulls, but many more 300 Marlins available, especially locally to me. From pictures it also looks like the cabin on the Express is outfitted a little nicer and the aft cabin is larger? We would likely only occasionally overnight, and the aft would be for 2 children. Otherwise just need a nice space for lunch and a stand-up head.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I don’t think anyone can “sell” you on either boat. They are both great boats with some differences that may or may not matter to you or your family. We spent some time on each and it didn’t take long for us to decide which one we wanted. You should do the same. With the kids. Here are a few of the factors that helped our decision.

We overnight often and spend weekends or even longer when I can get time off from work. I’m 6’ 5”. The V-berth in the Express is rounded at the corners and I don’t fit. The Marlin’s starboard side of the V is longer and that’s for me. We bought a king sized memory foam mattress and cut it to fit. We roll it up and stow it when not in use. We sleep better on board than we do at home! I guess Ocean Motion… BTW, I can stand up in the cabin without a concussion but not the head. That’s for her anyway!

I do fit in the mid-berth flat out but it is not easy to exit especially you are the “inside” occupant. I’m assuming the berth is the same on both boats. We’ve had overnight guests on board and it’s fine for a night for them. IMHO, It would be perfect for kids.

The Marlin is a walk-around. This is better for us and our dog who loves the scenery up front while we’re slowly motoring along and while fishing or whale watching, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with her, or any kids for that matter, going up there on an Express. While boating at night we block the walk-around with fenders.

The helm arraignment on the Express is a plus for some, probably more so for a small family but for us, just me and the Admiral, two seats on the Marlin are perfect. I’ve heard/read that the Express helm can get a bit crowded???

Last summer, we had a transient Express a few slips from us. I could be wrong but it seemed to me that the cockpit area is a bit smaller on the Express. Probably due to the fact that it has a bigger helm area. On the Marlin, there’s plenty of room to spread our dive gear or fish 4 without rubbing elbows. At the dock, we have deck chairs and a table. And if the weather turns, they go home. Perfect!

My wife likes the windows in the cabin on the Marlin. Not a big deal for me. In New England we don't use the AC all that much except in July and having windows helps open up the cabin with a breeze and a view.

There are plusses and minuses with either model depending on what your priorities and uses are going to be. We chose the Marlin. There was a post a short time ago and the subject was similar. They had a grand idea that I’m sure will never happen. A walk-around using the 33 Express hull. Bigger, wider with lots of helm seating! Another vote for the SWORDFISH!!!!!!!!!!!

moklodge

Reaction score
The Express was designed with a bit more "day boat" of a layout with some distinct differences so that it would not "kill" the Marlin. In a nutshell:

Marlin:

Larger Forward Vee Berth (more room for sleeping there)
Larger Cockpit (more fishing room)
Split helm seating (better for those of us with a gut)

Express:

Larger Galley with more storage
Larger Head
Larger Aft Bunk (due to larger helm)
Larger Helm with more family seating under top

Both run great but I prefer the roomier feel of the Marlin over the more luxurious look of the Express.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Our second Marlin will be delivered near the end of the month. I looked hard at the 305 when it first came out but still prefer the layout of the 300. My reasons:

o 300 has longer cockpit
o no windows in 305 cabin
o helm access is tight on 305 due to center helm
o can't reach hardtop rocket launchers on 305

The Marlin is still in production while the 305 is not.

MA208

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Hopefully looking at some Marlins later this week.

liinw8

Reaction score
I think I mentioned this in some prior posts but I have a '99 Marlin and a newer 305 is slipped right next to me. I feel like my cockpit, helm AND cabin feel more roomier. Even though the 305 is supposed to have a larger cabin there's so much stuff cramped in there, not to mention the lack of windows, that is seems much more cave-like then my Marlin. Both great boats!

Fishtales

Reaction score
A lot already said. I feel the center helm is small in the 33, I can't imagine it in the 305. The same hull was used in a bunch of 30 footers and one had to go.
The Marlin is a proven boat that has been upgraded over the years and hard to beat for a general all around boat. You get a smaller cabin, but on most days I'd trade that in a heartbeat for the quick bow access. Fishing hands down the Marlin is better, cruising probably the Express. Cockpit - both come in at 74 sq feet. Fuel is 300 and 290 Marlin bigger. Express runs about 600# more. Figure out your use case, ridem both and decide.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Speaking of updates to the Marlin...I had a chance to crawl on mine in the rigging shop over the weekend. Here is a list of just what I noticed. I don't know what year each change was introduced.

o SS cupholders
o SS latches on livewell and tackle station
o SS cockpit drains
o removable hatch for awesome bilge access
o white upper box doors with SS latches
o white cabin door
o magnetic cabin door hold (replaces strap)
o white painted hardtop support, rod holders, rocket launchers
o taller windshield with alloy finish
o bow windless controls
o bow fresh water washdown connection
o fresh water washdown (YEAH!!!)
o more teak and holly cabin sole
o glasstop stove
o genny fuel gauge in cabin
o redesigned genny for better service access
o AGM batteries
o under gunnel LEDs
o all lighting now uses LED
o new cockpit cushions
o amazing helm seats upgrade (highly recommended)

The boat looked awesome and will be in mine in 10 days!
The rigging guy had just worked on several Vikings and mentioned that GW has borrowed some features from those fine boats.

:goodjob :goodjob :goodjob

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congratulations on the new boat - those are great updates. Love the fresh water wash down. Did GW increase the size of the fresh water tank to accommodate the wash down?

MA208

Reaction score
Update: Deposit down on a 2006 Marlin. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. I wanted a bow thruster, generator and AC. Got the generator and AC and a quote from New England Bow Thrusters. Probably have to wait on that one. Hopefully I can learn twin engine docking OK, I'm sure it will be a much different boat than my 208.

Scott D

Reaction score
You're going to really like the Marlin. We have an 04 with Suzuki 300's and I do like it more than I thought I was going to. It's very fast and efficient and rides great. Plenty of room and storage on this boat.

Good luck

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You will love the Marlin. I find it easier to dock than my 272. The engines are further apart and the weight makes it move slower. The time it is tough is in a strong cross wind. Just use plenty of reverse when spinning into the wind.