Seller's remorse!! Wish I still had my 205

GWcpa

Reaction score
Sold my 205 last month and looking for another boat. I've had 3 Gradys and what am I searching for on boat Trader and elswhere now? A 205!

For what I want to do with a boat, it was perfect for me, and I got caught up in the sell, world is coming to an end psychology. But mostly I just enjoy buying and selling boats.

I guess the best way to determine the value of something is to no longer have it, and I really miss the 205 now that warm weather is coming.

Anyone else sell a boat and later regret it? I thought that never happened, according to the adage.

bc282

Reaction score
Had I the option to have kept all my boats from past to present (only 6 for me so far), i would've been very happy, but my life is not Jay Leno style.

My last boat before the GW 282 sailfish was a brand new 22' 2003 Campion Explorer 622 WA. Was a huge upgrade from a 14' Livingston catamaran and i was in bliss--for a short while. Offshore fishing in the Campion was not comfortable and a rough water weekend meant getting beat up. After 3 years i sold that boat. Lots of great memories and cool experiences, but i don't miss it too much now that i'm in bliss again with the 282.

Offshore fishing puts a smile on my face once again :D :D :D

Cheers to a smoother ride and a well built boat :wink:

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GWcpa said:
Sold my 205 last month and looking for another boat. I've had 3 Gradys and what am I searching for on boat Trader and elswhere now? A 205!

For what I want to do with a boat, it was perfect for me, and I got caught up in the sell, world is coming to an end psychology. But mostly I just enjoy buying and selling boats.

I guess the best way to determine the value of something is to no longer have it, and I really miss the 205 now that warm weather is coming.

Anyone else sell a boat and later regret it? I thought that never happened, according to the adage.

Brother, I can DEFINITELY relate... :)

I know of a great deal on a 225 if you are interested.....

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's happened several times for me always trying to get the perfect boat.......what i have realised is that my needs constantly change and consequently what I need in a boat changes as well.
Having said that, I bought my 265 for it's size, overnighting capability and fishability.
My 16 year old son now has a partime weekend job and so we rarely get to overnight out at the reef. We have a small skinny water boat but I have been thinking about a bay scout (2 or 3 feet bigger) or something similar as a day boat only.
However we got to go out at night last night only 12 miles from our harbour and had a great time and caught some Tarpon and Fingermark, and I love my 265 and I'm thinking what am i even thinking about my next boat for I Love THIS boat.........

rajwah

Reaction score
Engine Size for Tournament 205

I am in the market for a Tournament 205 and am trying to determine if I need a 200 h.p. engine or if the 150 will work OK. Most of my use will be short trips with my family of 4, and occasionally pulling the kids on tubes. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Brad1

Reaction score
GWcpa said:
I got caught up in the sell, world is coming to an end psychology.

Funny you should mention that. I've been considering selling my Grady for the same reason. That, and the fact that I just don't get to use the boat as much as I'd like. In 4 full seasons of ownership, I only have 357 hours on it.

I do know this. I sold my 1994 Proline back in '02, convincing myself that I was done with big water fishing until my Son's grew up (they were 3 and 6 at the time). I bought a sweet little 16 footer back then. But not long after I sold my Erie boat, I found myself looking for a replacement. I became obsessed. looking everyday. From my previous experience, I know that if I sell, I'll be overwhelmed by sellers remorse. And my Grady is much sweeter than my Proline was. Then again, I paid more than double for it too.

I just can't decide what to do. :?

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I had an '85 205 that I sold a couple of years ago. I bought a 22 Seafarer with outboard 225 and like it a lot but I also miss my 205. If there was any way I could have ustified keeping it I would have; it was a great boat. My fanily needs dictated something just a bit bigger.

Anybody who shies away from an I/O never had the pleasure of owning and driving a Grady 205. Good luck in your search.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
My last boat was a 36' Pacemaker, I miss her .. that boat was a battle tank ...she was also a great live-aboard TONS of space ...HUGH cockpit .... but between the cost of winter storage/up-keep and gas $$ (T/454's) I just could'nt do it anymore ... So we sold her and are very happy with our 25 Grady ... ... Nice to be able to bring the boat home in the off season and not pay storage!

pensagrady

Reaction score
How bout a 228

I have a 2006 Seafarer that I would make you a great deal on. It is the same thing as the 208, just a little bit larger.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Good discussion (above). A few years back (2006), I purchased a brand new and very loaded 228. A few weeks ago I accepted delivery of a 2003 265. The 228 is up for sale but my wife and I dread selling the 228 as we simply fell in love with it. We just might keep it as our "trailer boat" while the 265 will serve as our primary battle-wagon. Cheers, Jack

GWcpa

Reaction score
Been looking at 226/8s and 225s, but may drop back to a smaller CC this year to get through.

The small boat market seems to be in pretty good shape though. Good clean boats with modern power are not staying on the market long, at least from what I see.

May consider buying an older boat with a 2 stroke and doing a repower or just running it. Either way, I'm not going through the season boatless, but won't have much time on the water until July this year.

mrzeeno98

Reaction score
perfection is elusive

Although I LOVE my Sailfish 272 (especially the creature comforts - stretching out on the "bed" for a snooze is sublime) but I still miss ripping around on my 204C with the 200 Ocean Pro. I had the boat for 22 years and repowered it twice, but except for the limitations of size and comfort when going offshore, it was very nearly a perfect "everything" boat. It would have been decadent to keep it after buying the Sailfish, but I really was cool looking at them side by side in my yard.
:)
Maybe some day...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I kept my Seafarer for 10 years..Sold it as I needed a break from the cleaning and trailering..It became more work than fun toward the end.

I purchased my 232 Gulfstream new.I'm starting my 3rd year and plan on keeping it another 10 at least.

I don't like trading boats all the time, although many on here do. My pleasure is spending years getting to know the boat and it getting to know me...