Sending unit

Dukke

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi , I’ve noticed that some Grady White Owner’s have replaced sending unit in there boats , I have a 200 gulfstream, I called Grady white asking for the length of the sending units specifically the 90 gal aux tank they said the 90 is 26 “ in length and the 92 and the 56 gal are both 14” in length . I can’t seem to find a quality gauge at 26 inches .
Can someone help out with this ,
I know that I’m gonna be told to take out old one and measure it , but I’d like to have new one in hand before I start the replacement . Thnks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This shouldn't be too hard. Both Moeller and Wema make units available for that length. Any decent marine store should be able to get it for you with a 3 minute phone call (sometimes, actually talking to someone works better than 3 hours of searching online :) ). But if you want to look at the manufacturer's directly, go right to their website and then google.

And, yes, I would ALWAYS remove the original first to double check. It's only about a 5 minute job - and you can put it right back in place if you need/want to.

seasick

Reaction score
After you measure the distance from the flange to the bottom of the tank, subtract 1 inch. That is the size you want.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tip before you remove the existing sender. I did not do this the first time I swapped one out. The senders have a tough pattern of bolts holes that are not symmetrical and it can be tough to figure how the bolt holes should be aligned. This is important to prevent stripping bolt holes. I suggest you get a black marker and mark the old sender and the tank so that you know how to re-install easily. I mark a line by the hole closest to the electrical wire and then one on the tank and it is a simple reinstall.

seasick

Reaction score
Good advice. The non symmetric bolt pattern is not all that obvious. One other hint is to not over tighten the screws/bolts when reinstalling the sender. Over tightening can deform the flange on the tank and cause leaks.
If all is in decent shape, no gasket sealer is needed either.