sending units

beatnick

Reaction score
I have 1996 GW Islander that i'm trying to find a sending unit for.I tried a universal unit with the arm float but there seems to be a baffle inside the tank that won't let it work .My unit is one that floats straight up and down.If theres anyone who's changed this type of unit and maybe able to help me find the proper one or a name brand who sells them I could use the help. Thanks Nick

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The drilling on the flange allows the flange to affix in only one position, that's why the orginal works, it hinges in a direction that is free inside -the only way it could be mounted.

I would think but am not sure, the manufacturer of the universal would have adhered to a standard with respect to the above so it will work wherever it is used, or otherwise convertible some how.

I second the vote on the WEMA units, no arms nor anything electrical exposed inside or outside tank. Single shaft with donut style floater riding on it, cast stainless flange and seal welded tube, very well made units.

I paid about $60 delivered, or so, per. Grady will give you the sender length, which is 3/4 inch shorter than the tank depth, be sure if you order to specify the "sender length", even though they may ask the tank depth, they do as a check.

grady23

Reaction score
I was able to replace the one in my main tank with a unit from West Marine for about $45. That was 3 years ago, so I SURE it's more now. It was a 14" unit if I rememeber correctly. I don't depend on sending units anyway. Almost always wrong.
Before you replace it, check the wiring for the compass, yes, I said compass, as it connects to the dash thru that wiring. When I was waiting for a replacement Ritchie compass, I took the boat out one afternoon and noticed the guages were not wroking. I soon as I put in the new compass, they went back to working.