Serious now about joining the Grady crowd!

Pescadote

Reaction score
Well, I first posted on this forum around 9 months ago when I was just toying with the idea of selling my aluminum Pacific Northwest boat, and, I took the plunge and recently sold it.

I'm looking in the 22-24' range and Seafarers are at the top of the list, but I am finding them a bit hard to come by currently (I see on this forum I'm not the only one looking!).

I will be fishing out of Newport on the Oregon coast, and the Pacific can get pretty snotty at times. I want to be able to run for Albacore and we often have to run 40 plus miles out to find them. My tow rig is an 07 Duramax, so I think that shouldn't be an issue, but I also want it pretty trailerable for my annual trip to North Vancouver Island.

Question about a 24' Offshore that I found. It's a 91 with twin 2004 Yamahas with 800 hours. Looks super clean. I think, however, that 91 was the year before they changed the hull design? Is that a deal breaker if everything else works out? Looks pretty meticulous and trailer also looks great.

From what I could read on the Grady website, it looks pretty much like a Seafarer 228 just two feet longer?

Reactions: Meanwhile

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The biggest difference between the SV2 hull and the older design is in a short chop. The SV2 is much softer and drier.

I've only been out on the Pacific in SV2 Gradys, so I don't have the knowledge for a direct comparison. But my old '86 Seafarer road better in the Atlantic than it did in the Gulf. The older hull will pound in short period waves.

I'd look for an SV2 hull.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve had my 1999 Seafarer since last December upgrading from a 2000 542 Campion that I had for 11 years, can’t be happier with the boat. I fish north Vancouver Island as well crossing over Nahwitti bar and over to Pine Island and West Coast off Nootka Island and the boat takes all kinds of water, more than I am comfortable in. Hopefully you find one for sale, it took me a few years of searching for the right one for the right price, good luck in your search.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Plus one on the SV2 hull.

I have been on both, noticeable difference.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I've got a 2020 Seafarer. I'm inexperienced, total noob, so listening to me - do that at your own risk.

I *love* my boat. You have to learn how to drive it, I'm still learning, but I can drive it.

I have not driven the earlier hulls. I can tell you that the SV2 hull will beat the crap out of you if you drive it wrong (pro tip, just get the bow down) but if you drive it right, it is great. When I was doing it wrong I was looking for air shock seats, anything to get the banging away. Now I drive it right and it still beats you up a bit, I think all boats do, but I'm not looking for air shock seats, I don't need them.

My main harbor is Santa Cruz, if you are in the area, I'm happy to take you out and let you see what it can do.

It is an awesome boat, I love it. Looks good too:

looks-good.jpg

Reactions: JJMag

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Most of the SV2's will pound you as well if they switched from a 2-stroke to a 4-stroke without moving tanks. Full tabs on my boat are needed. When I do the new tank it's going to be one big one moved forward.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Most of the SV2's will pound you as well if they switched from a 2-stroke to a 4-stroke without moving tanks. Full tabs on my boat are needed. When I do the new tank it's going to be one big one moved forward.

My (limited) experience is that you trim the engine all the way forward, it pushes the bow down (I can move the bow up or down at least 3 feet against the horizon by trimming the engine) and then it rides well. Some people here, that I like and respect, have tried to get me to do it with tabs. I'll get there but I am not there, so far the engine is doing it for me. And Eric Sorensen, GW's expert, likes doing it like I do it.

Moving a tank forward will push the bow down, I'm all for that. Until you stuff it, I've never come anywhere close to that but I can imagine it could happen.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
COG is way off once you strap all the extra weight in the back. I don't have an AUX tank which makes this even worse. I'll be splitting the difference between the 2 coffin boxes with a larger tank.

My motor has to be trimmed all the way and tabs are mandatory if I have any conditions. The tabs on these boats are undersized as well.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
blindmullet makes a good point. My 228 has the tank forward. That being said I was fortunate enough to go out on Lite Tackles 226 this past spring and could tell there is a big difference between pre SV2 and post SV2