Shake Siphon

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i have the first one. worked well. can't remember if i drained a portable genny or the snowblower. ron

ps: you can buy this in a store; although once again, can't rememeber which one.

seasick

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Has anyone used these before? I need to drain my generator tank at layup and found these.

http://www.supersyphon.com/SuperSyphon.html
http://www.simplesiphon.com

Looks like a pretty easy way to get the job done , albeit I will need a longer tube.
I've had several of these in the past. At one time Lowes carried a model but I don't know if they still do.

In general, they usually work well at first but they can be a pain to get to prime over time. The check ball often gets coated with something gooey and it sticks causing the valve to stick closed or stick open. Look for model with a metal ball and a metal sleeve.
The better ones have plastic hoses that are antistatic treated. I think the blue hoses are treated
The hoses are prone to crimping if stored folded or even tightly coiled. If you store the pump in a cold garage or other cold area, the hose is difficult to get to uncoil.

Is there a difference between the $15 ones I've seen and the $6 ones? Not over the long run in my opinion. I've had both types and they both only lasted two seasons or less.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The shake siphon is awsome1, empties a 5gal can in 3 min. To keep it working spray it with seafoam "deep creep" before storage it will keep the ball clean. I have had mine for years and only recently had to change the hose due to drying out.

seasick

Reaction score
sfc2113 said:
The shake siphon is awsome1, empties a 5gal can in 3 min. To keep it working spray it with seafoam "deep creep" before storage it will keep the ball clean. I have had mine for years and only recently had to change the hose due to drying out.
I agree they are awesome when they work. You suggesting of spraying the ball is interesting. I don't know if I will try it since I am getting too old to carry gas cans:)

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I used the first one to empty the tank in my pickup and it surprised me on how well it worked.