Shakespeare Mariner 8500 antenna

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ll be swapping in the new Simrad Go9 unit and removing the old Faruno with its external gps antenna this winter. While I’m at it I’ll be adding an external speaker for the vhf and figure to replace its old vhf antenna.
It’s a Shakespeare but it’s finish is totally cracked and weather checked. It’s performance is suspect as the windings are likely compromised.
I don’t go offshore with my 20’ Overnighter so I don’t know if as Galaxy is necessary so I’m looking at the Mariner 8500.
Anyone have anything bad to say about it?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mike, can you clarify what you mean about "windings"? Typically, the guts of the antenna is either a coax cable or some type of straight rod - the better the antenna, the better the guts. You could likely save some money and just give the external fiberglass a light scuff and then paint. Scuff onece more and then a coat or two of paint. Or, even use epoxy for the initial coat (you could also tint the epoxy).

What model Shakespeare? If it's one of their entry level antennas, then it's not really worth it. But if it's a higher end model, then it might very well be.

I'm not familiar with the Mariner 8500 - is this made by Shakespeare? I'll take a look.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The Mariner is made by Shakespeare and sold by west Marine.
I never took apart a vhf antenna, I thought it had some type of copper spiraling. The cable for my antenna looks like it’s seen better days as well. Not sure if there’s anyway to test it’s performance, I’m just judging by its appearance.
I’ll go out and see if I can find out some more about it.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Main vhf antenna on my 265 is a Mariner 8500. Works great. Its on the hardtop.

If you are always in a river/bay/coast, a 3db antenna will get more consistent coverage within the normal inshore range to other boats and in rougher conditions.
I used a 4400 3 ft stainless whip on my V20 hardtop. Worked great even out at Chicken Canyon.
I added one to my 265 on the backup VHF. Unbreakable. Reasonable price.
Cut excess cable and make a good connection...that...and height...are the most important factors

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This is what I’ve got now, I’m gonna say it’s a Shakespeare going on the colored band decal on the bottom but there’s nothing else to ID it. It’s two piece (?) with a 6’ lower section and 3’ thin upper .
968A4F79-94AA-413B-B424-7E14AB5B3C16.jpeg
34E79585-C030-4541-90B5-E12E20B5408F.jpeg
098F3740-1F58-4BF7-8CDC-118993DAB5CD.jpeg
F860C726-2CA6-4BBB-ADBB-1E312D853A7C.jpeg
I really don’t know if this is a diamond or a lump of coal.
I’m not on the radio very much either, spend most of my vhf use listening. Dennis I’m guessing you’ve seen a lot of antennas, do you have a clue?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have... but never seen one like that! You're right, though - it is a Shakes based on the color. I'm gonna have to do some internettin' ;) But, in looking at the base and fiberglass, it looks like a better one.

"Made by Shakes, sold by West"... that always makes me wonder... what does West require for it to be able to be sold in their store at their price point? Typically, there's something "less" about it in cases like this.

Yes, no spiral kind of thing. Basically just a straight rod - but it's the type and quality of the rod that makes the difference. I used to have cut-aways at the store - the difference is quite pronounced once you look inside. The outer casing and base can also be made from different materials/thicknesses/quality.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just looked around on Shake's website. Where you rounding off in the measurements? It looks like it could be their 5399, which is indeed a really nice antenna.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Just looked around on Shake's website. Where you rounding off in the measurements? It looks like it could be their 5399, which is indeed a really nice antenna.
Ok thanks Dennis. I looked it up and got the dimensions, then went out with a tape measure this time.
last time I used my shoe which is roughly 12” to guess-timate the length. ;)
Ok, it measures dead on with that for the 5399.
The top portion actually looks good, it’s the bottom that’s rough so maybe I should hang onto it and freshen the base up with a coat of white epoxy.
Do you know of anyway to test it’s performance?
Here’s the vhf radio it’s paired with.
I had an Eclipse plus on my last boat, this one looks a little better.
C0314144-0A84-434A-AE6C-7F369749E95B.jpeg
Oh ya, found evidence of a squatter, not good :mad:
2D6E4B05-3715-4FE1-8ED8-57C44A9DDAEE.jpeg
E1234AD5-B4C4-4580-8D9F-B33AC8204917.jpeg
Now I have to go looking for a rodent nest and check all my wiring.:rolleyes:

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I get what your saying about WM, quality, and bulk buying/selling.
The 5399 isn’t available at WM but I see it selling elsewhere from $230 - $300. My boats PO probably had this antenna sold and installed by his marina.
The ancient Faruno was probably tops in its day.

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
I've run top of the line Shakespeare before, but it never compared in quality or performance to Digital brand 8' vhf antenna. They are top top quality and I use the radio a lot.
If definitely go with Digital instead. Check them out.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 8500 is the same antenna as the Shakespeare 5225 XT. It’s just branded for West Marine.

It will work just fine for your application. The Digital 529 has the advantage of the mini connector already installed on the coax which makes installation easier since you don’t have to attach a PL259 plug. However, my experience has been that the solderless connectors, when installed properly, work just as well as a soldered connector.

The Digital 529 will be more expensive, and may have to be ordered and shipped to you. The WM 8500 will likely be in stock in your local store.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Regarding Antennas, just learned that I have a Shakespeare Centennial 5101. 8ft, 8db (never looked!)

Thoughts of this on an antenna? Sits on top of a hardtop.

I know advice in this thread recommended 3db antenna. Curious if I should hold onto this antenna or replace it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I went with a Digital when I swapped mine out a couple years back.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've had Digital and also Shakespeare. I'm currently running the Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT 8' on my hardtop, paired up with a Icom 504 VHF. The shorter 3db would work close in but I prefer the 8' on the hardtop to be able to maximize my distance and chances to reach someone incase I need to. Also run the matching 8' AM-FM 5235-XT.

20190702_151210.jpg

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
I've had Digital and also Shakespeare. I'm currently running the Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT 8' on my hardtop, paired up with a Icom 504 VHF. The shorter 3db would work close in but I prefer the 8' on the hardtop to be able to maximize my distance and chances to reach someone incase I need to. Also run the matching 8' AM-FM 5235-XT.

View attachment 17770
Love the photo Ky.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks...I'll stick what I got then and move it to the other side of my hardtop so I can keep it vertically. Due to my mooring whips, I always left it at a 45 degree angle so as not to catch them too much with the antenna

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Definitely a shakespeare 5/8 wavelength, maybe a 5399 or an older version of it
Ya, no sense going to the 8500 if what I have is a better antenna. I give the lower section a fresh coat of white epoxy and keep it.
I may pick up another antenna to mount on a tower (30’) next to my house as I saved the eclipse plus from my Bayliner. The FCC says you can run a base vhf if your within 3 miles from the water.
Though not wide or deep enough to launch my boat in, technically the Manasquan River does run thru my backyard. ;)