Sharks!!

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
catch22 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQKb_5Leq0&feature=related
That's pretty funny!, Whenever we hook one,its always a good fight especially on light spinning tackle,we always wait for him to see the boat and then its hold on time 'cause he's going down! one more,,,,Does anybody know where there's a good restaurant on the island?, yeah,ya walk straight ahead! hehehehe,they're all going to die!

HMBJack

Reaction score
How's this one for ya - using my Seafarer as a yardstick we observed, up close, a 16 foot Great White. Stayed with it for 30 minutes. Shot 36 pictures off my Minolta 35mm then a dozen or so on my digital camera. August 2006 in 90 feet of water while rock fishing 2.06 miles off the beach - San Gregorio, California (~38 miles South of San Francisco). The GW was swimming very slow and calmly on the surface of this beautifully sunny day - frankly I thought he (or she?) was sound asleep like maybe it just fed... Very healthy, heavy and girthy shark - slate gray exactly like an F/A 18 fighter jet. We were within 20 to 50 feet of the shark the whole time which was moving along at walking pace in my opinion. Never felt threatened. I have photos to prove all of this. Once in a lifetime experience which my family will always remember.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Question..When you specifically fish for Sharks do you raise them every trip?
Reason I ask..We went Shark fishing with a pro-outfit out of Bud N' Mary's in Islamorada..We went to the famous "Hump" in the Gulfstream..We caught amberjack as baitfish, but never caught a Shark. The winds were blowing counter to the Stream and the seas were steep 5-7's with the wind against the current.
We had a pretty rough day with no sharks..Does that happen to you all?

If you're fishing in season (so around LI that means June and then again in the early fall) yes, most trips you will have at least have a blue shark or two for your troubles. Looking back in the logbook I have one shark trip in the last three years where we had absolutely no sharks. Catching blue shark's isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but it makes for good entertainment if you have a newbie on the boat and let them be pulled all around the cockpit for a few minutes. One such day we had 14 blue sharks and let (forced) the new guy to reel in 12 of them!.... "c'mon Charlie it's your turn... But it was my turn on the last 4!" :lol:

As for your trip goes, I don't know too many people who aim for sharks in Islamorada. To quote my guide from back in May, "Who the f*&k comes to Islamorada to catch sharks?!?!"

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One of the best places I've been to to fish was the Bahamas. On a maybe 1/2 day trip we had 2 sharks, 1 LARGE red snapper, a couple yellow tail snappers, and some small groupers (bait for the sharks).

The other shark was a mako (around 150#) caught in the mud hole. A very unlucky shark, I foul-hooked him by the front pectoral fin. We were fishing for tuna so if it was caught in the mouth it would have gotten away easily.

catch22

Reaction score
HMBJack said:
How's this one for ya - using my Seafarer as a yardstick we observed, up close, a 16 foot Great White. Stayed with it for 30 minutes. Shot 36 pictures off my Minolta 35mm then a dozen or so on my digital camera. August 2006 in 90 feet of water while rock fishing 2.06 miles off the beach - San Gregorio, California (~38 miles South of San Francisco). The GW was swimming very slow and calmly on the surface of this beautifully sunny day - frankly I thought he (or she?) was sound asleep like maybe it just fed... Very healthy, heavy and girthy shark - slate gray exactly like an F/A 18 fighter jet. We were within 20 to 50 feet of the shark the whole time which was moving along at walking pace in my opinion. Never felt threatened. I have photos to prove all of this. Once in a lifetime experience which my family will always remember.

Post some photo's... that would be great.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
HMBJack..Heck Yes..show us some shots..That had to be an incredible 1/2 hr.
Fishermanabb had a great story too, about the "two shark fins" belonging to one big Great White..

Anyway, BlackDiamond296..
The shark outing was thought about before we went down to Islamorada. I am not a fisherman, so I know little-to-nothing about the best whereabouts of sharks. The guide told us we should catch large sharks in the Stream. He said we could go into the backcountry on the Gulf side for smaller sharks, but we wanted the real deal, so we opted for the Atlantic.
My son got seasick, I was a little woozy, we caught no sharks and it cost us $1200.00 plus tipping the mate(Who was great..he made the trip as fun as it could be.)
I was, needless to say, disappointed, but, heck, there was the ocean, here was a big charter outfit..seemed like a good bet....
I still have YET to see a shark in it's natural environment..I mean, NOT in Sea World.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When my son and I snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef it is common to see Black and White Tipped Reef Sharks. The most common size is 3-4 ft and they are quite harmless to humans.
However on one of my first snorkelling trips, i was out probably 100 ft from the boat when, as I rounded a coral outcrop there was a 6-8 footer coming straight at me.
Needless to say i flipped over on my back and with my speargun pointed at the shark I backpaddled at goldmedal speed......all the while telling myself that it's the one you don't see that'll get you.
I've seen a few more since but never one that looked so threatening.
We've had Hammerheads attack lures and baits which is more of a nuisance than anything exciting.
The Tiger Shark is probably our most feared and local predator.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Anyway, BlackDiamond296..
The shark outing was thought about before we went down to Islamorada. I am not a fisherman, so I know little-to-nothing about the best whereabouts of sharks. The guide told us we should catch large sharks in the Stream. He said we could go into the backcountry on the Gulf side for smaller sharks, but we wanted the real deal, so we opted for the Atlantic.
My son got seasick, I was a little woozy, we caught no sharks and it cost us $1200.00 plus tipping the mate(Who was great..he made the trip as fun as it could be.)
I was, needless to say, disappointed, but, heck, there was the ocean, here was a big charter outfit..seemed like a good bet....
I still have YET to see a shark in it's natural environment..I mean, NOT in Sea World.
Ouch, that is rough! I've had an offshore charter like that out of Islamorada before- it was our last one. Now if we go offshore down there it's to go diving. The backcountry has some crazy fishing down there. But you're captain was right, the sharks caught in the backcountry are usually smaller- bellow is an 80 lbs bull shark my cousin caught back in February.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6ztbyUd7oBpBz4wV9Qyxhw

GT

Reaction score
Fished with my wife's father a few years ago in Pompano Beach Florida. We're in 400 feet of water on his 26 foot Glacier Bay Cat with twin Honda 4s. Not much happening until in the distance I see white water, we approach and the ocean is littered in in scales. turns out a shark is trying to kill a billfish and the fish is trying to leap free. The shark had several chunks out the bill's tail and he's not really swimming, more like thrashing around, sort of 'standing' up in the water. When we get real close the shark gets slightly spooked by our being there and gives the fish a few minutes alone. My father in law is going nuts, tells me to take the helm so he can gaff the billfish (don't ask). One swipe and he lands the gaff, but the shark is not happy and begins circling. The billfish is too heavy for him to heave over the transom so I join in and as we both give a heave ho the shark comes right up to the transom and swipes at the fish. I don't want to be a headline in the Miami Herald and question our (his) sanity. Father in Law is possessed, he wants this fish.= ( I told you not to ask!). I manage to get the fish onto the swim platform when the shark comes back at us, all jacked up obviously because it lunges at the portside motor and grabs a hold of the Dolefin. With a big shake we can feel that he's got the thing held tight. I cant take anymore of this and ask about his sanity, and I drop the fish, gaff and all. The billfish is trying to thrash its way from the lunatic humans and murderous shark, and we watch as the gaff, sunk deep begins to dance away from our hull. The shark makes one more turn towards the boat - as if to say "this is my last warning" - and again grabs a hold of the Dolefin. Unbelievable. I finally convince him to give up and head home, and we watch as the shark grabs a hold of the billfish one more time and takes it under water - gaff and all. We scooped up a few scales, wondered where our cameras were and headed home. Back at the dock we tilted the engines up and sure enough - teeth marks all over the Dolefin. We didn't have any lasing evidence other than that so we took that fin off and have it hanging in his garage now. I couldn't ID either the fish or shark, but estimate that the shark was at least half the lenght of the boat. Dad thinks it was a great white, but who knows. My first and last 'wild' shark experience.

catch22

Reaction score
GT said:
Fished with my wife's father a few years ago in Pompano Beach Florida. We're in 400 feet of water on his 26 foot Glacier Bay Cat with twin Honda 4s. Not much happening until in the distance I see white water, we approach and the ocean is littered in in scales. turns out a shark is trying to kill a billfish and the fish is trying to leap free. The shark had several chunks out the bill's tail and he's not really swimming, more like thrashing around, sort of 'standing' up in the water. When we get real close the shark gets slightly spooked by our being there and gives the fish a few minutes alone. My father in law is going nuts, tells me to take the helm so he can gaff the billfish (don't ask). One swipe and he lands the gaff, but the shark is not happy and begins circling. The billfish is too heavy for him to heave over the transom so I join in and as we both give a heave ho the shark comes right up to the transom and swipes at the fish. I don't want to be a headline in the Miami Herald and question our (his) sanity. Father in Law is possessed, he wants this fish.= ( I told you not to ask!). I manage to get the fish onto the swim platform when the shark comes back at us, all jacked up obviously because it lunges at the portside motor and grabs a hold of the Dolefin. With a big shake we can feel that he's got the thing held tight. I cant take anymore of this and ask about his sanity, and I drop the fish, gaff and all. The billfish is trying to thrash its way from the lunatic humans and murderous shark, and we watch as the gaff, sunk deep begins to dance away from our hull. The shark makes one more turn towards the boat - as if to say "this is my last warning" - and again grabs a hold of the Dolefin. Unbelievable. I finally convince him to give up and head home, and we watch as the shark grabs a hold of the billfish one more time and takes it under water - gaff and all. We scooped up a few scales, wondered where our cameras were and headed home. Back at the dock we tilted the engines up and sure enough - teeth marks all over the Dolefin. We didn't have any lasing evidence other than that so we took that fin off and have it hanging in his garage now. I couldn't ID either the fish or shark, but estimate that the shark was at least half the lenght of the boat. Dad thinks it was a great white, but who knows. My first and last 'wild' shark experience.

Great story. :D

Wonder what would have happened if you guys did manage to pull in the Billfish? How much more aggressive would that shark have gotten? :shock:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not only a great story, but very well-written.

I wanna go shark fishing again after reading all of this...

LI Grady

Reaction score
In defense of Blue Sharks

I know I'm the minority but I'm not an idiot. Like everyone I live for that high flying mako and freight car of a Thresher....but if the Blue dogs show up I still smile.

I just break out the light tackle (20lbs stand ups are perfect) and you'd be surprised the fun you can have with them. Witht the lighter tackle a 100lbs Blue Shark can put up a decent fight and you (or a novice on board) and your crew can practice their technique with out the worry over losing a prize Mako or Thresher.

Plus they tend to show up in packs, so lose one rig one

BTW my favorite SHark memory is my first. Trolling umbrella rigs in bluefish tournament on my father's GW 24 Offshore just out of sight of land I'm watching the spread when all of a sudden a fin appears and starts follwing us. We turns, he turns. He left before we could get a shark rig out. I still remember the feeling of excitement at seeing that fin and the bit of apprehension that comes from the realization that but for the boat you're sittting in you're not the top of the food chain any more

Last comment on Makos....I have never seen a more incredible and vibrant blue then on a Mako....Mahi Mahi come close though

HMBJack

Reaction score
Okay - as stated - my best photos are on 35mm prints. Here are a couple from my digital camera. Note the scale - the boat in the background where you see the dorsal fin and the tip of the tail fin of this ~16 foot GW Shark. As you know, a GW will enjoy EATING any Mako, Hammerhead or big blue shark in the ocean... - Jack

I hope this link works:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... leid=en_US

publius

Reaction score
I've caught a few in the Gulf of Mexico but my story is seeing them flying. I don't know if anyone has flown the beach before in a chopper or slow Cessna. Abuddy and I flew along the beach for about 10 miles around Gulf Shores Orange Beach. I can tell you for sure that sharks don't want to eat us usually. You wouldn't beleive the number of sharks we saw, many very close to swimmers. I mean we saw hundreds. Even though attacks are very rare, I never liked swimming in the Gulf anyway. I be a landlubber now.

LittleMrs

Reaction score
GT said:
<snip> Father in Law is possessed, he wants this fish.= ( I told you not to ask!). I manage to get the fish onto the swim platform when the shark comes back at us, all jacked up obviously because it lunges at the portside motor and grabs a hold of the Dolefin. With a big shake we can feel that he's got the thing held tight. I cant take anymore of this and ask about his sanity, and I drop the fish, gaff and all. The billfish is trying to thrash its way from the lunatic humans and murderous shark, and we watch as the gaff, sunk deep begins to dance away from our hull. <snip>

GT - you need to write a book ! Great story - LOVED the writing style. I was pumped and laughing at the same time (the "lunatic humans and murderous shark" bit STILL has me laughing - and I've read that piece 5 times !)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Publius;
Funny you should tell that story.

I fished for shark(unsuccessfully) back in the 70's off Sarasota, and the Capt. told me as we were goin' out Sarasota Pass the same thing..
Apparently he and his buddy would fly up-and-down the coast from St' Pete to Venice and see sharks galore swimming in between the 1st sandbar and shore..all the swimmers were blissfully oblivious of them.

If they really liked the taste of humans, the population would have been cut drastically by now.

HMBJack;
Great photos! I wasnt aware until reading Fishermannabb's and looking at your pics that Great Whites (or any shark) cruised the surface.

HMBJack

Reaction score
They go where the food goes.
Great Whites eat seals and sea lions which breath air...
Wish I could post my 35mm photos - they are much better.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Me Too..
Then I thought.."What better way to read about real-life encounters with sharks than to ask all the guys who own Grady's and fish out of them?"

This is the result..I'm real happy with the way the thread turned out..

Anyone else???

I was hopin' to hear from Capt. Bill, Megabytes, BobP and gw204.